In Sickness Pt.1

Chapter 20: In sickness
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** Few days later***

Aunt Kat

The bright light from the Sun's rays creeped into my bedroom. My bones ached but I couldn't spend my life resting like the doctor had ordered me to.

***Flashback***

'Beep ... beep ... beep.' The monitor sounded as I felt the warm liquid flow through my veins. This where I spent most of my days. I could count on one hand of how many times I had been to work since me and AirRen came back to NOLA. I was fading in and out of consciousness until my doctor had approached me.

"Ms. Wells lets go into my office to speak." He asked extending his hand for me to grab onto.

We reached his office and I could tell he was bearing nothing but bad news.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked weakly.

"I'm sorry to inform you Ms.Wells but it looks like the cancer has spread to other areas of your body." He said looking up from my file

I couldn't believe all of the dollars and time I spent using therapies and treatments that wouldn't work. I silently cried praying that God would release me from this horrible nightmare.

"So what does this mean?" I harshly questioned.

I couldn't leave AirRen alone. I was the only family she had left after my sister passed. My mind drifted off wondering what else could be done to save my life.

"I'm sorry but we have been trying to beat this for years and it keeps coming back stronger." His voice trembled as he spoke.

"So I'm just suppose to lay down and die?!" I yelled attempting to leave the office but as soon as I stood to my feet my legs gave out.

"You need to relax Katherine." He replied looking into my glassy eyes.

"I will ... I promise."

***Flashback Over***

I looked at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. The peach fuzz blooming from my head, the pale skin, the sunken eyes and the thin frame wasn't me. I was dying and I couldn't face it.

'Ring ... Ring ...Ring." The unexpected buzz caused my bones to rattle in surprise. I had avoided everyone so much I didn't look forward to anyone's call anymore. I picked up the reading the name. I knew I couldn't avoide her forever especially because she was in another state, young and pregnant.

"Hey baby." My voice faded in and out.

"Kat what's wrong ... please tell me."

I didn't wanna keep lying to her but I didn't know how to tell that I wouldn't be around long.

"I'm just a little sick baby. What's going on with you?" I asked trying to avoid any other questions about my health.

"I've just been worried Kat, that's all." Her voice got low.

"I'm fine baby girl ... how are you doing? "

It grew silent on the phone. I was prahing to myself that she wouldn't ask another question.

"I'm wonderful ... I had them. " I could tell she was happy.

"Oh my GOODNESS! How are they doing? What are their names?" This was probably the first time in months I felt happy.

"They're healthy", she giggled. "And baby boy's is a third.

And baby girl's name is September Melanie Andrea." My heart warmed as I heard her she had given her daughter her mother's name.

"I know Andrea is for mommy but where did Melanie come from baby?" I questioned.

"It was for ... for Mel. I figured it would be nice." She began to cry.

"It's beautiful baby. I wish you would tell him about his kids."

"I will Kat. I know I can do it alone but I don't want to. I'm coming to NOLA and when I do I'll tell him." Her voice was stern. I prayed she would tell him.

I began to feel weak again. I couldn't manage to do anything but sleep. I needed AirRen back here to help me but I just couldn't find the best way to explain why I needed her.

"Well baby come home soon. I miss you."

"I miss you to Kat. I love you. "

"I love you too baby .... bye."
______________________

N00NiEE💙💛