Allies and Enemies*

(Vienna. September 2nd, 1943)

    Today was the day that classes would begin, and honestly, I was not excited. After a potion-induced sleep last evening, thanks to Madame Ducane, I was feeling well rested enough for the day. I rose from my comfortable four poster bed and walked towards the window, I had somehow managed to get my own room, again thanks to Madame Ducane, and lucky for me my window didn't look out into the murky Black Lake. The waves to the Black Lake went about halfway up my window, and the rest focused on the school grounds outside. I stretched in the sunlight, feeling very much like a cat, and let out a long sigh. Please let this day go hassle-free.

    Moving away from the window, I made my way over to my wardrobe and quickly changed into my school uniform. Thankfully the uniform hadn't seemed to change in 50 years, because it was identical to the one I was used too. I checked myself in the mirror and used a simple spell to curl my white locks, which fell delicately around my face. Well, I guess I look alright. I grabbed my simple leather rucksack off my desk and made my way out of the door and into the common room. Not many students were awake, considering it was 7:30 and breakfast had started. Sitting on the black leather sofa across from the fireplace, I saw a platinum blonde head. Be pleasant Vienna. I took a deep breath and walked cautiously over to the boy on the sofa. "Good morning Abraxas," I say to him, he jumps a bit and looks at me curiously. "Good morning Vienna. Headed to breakfast?" He asks after he collects himself. "Yes, I am," I reply giving a small smile. "Would you like some company? I was just about to head myself." He asks, standing up and straightening his green and silver tie. "That would be lovely Abraxas, thank you." He sweeps his arm open towards the portrait door, gesturing for me to lead. I smile at him again and was surprised he recuperated the smile. 

    We begin our ascent up to the Great Hall in surprisingly comfortable silence. "Are you adjusting well?" He asks me when we reach the stairs. I throw a glance his way before answering. "Yes. Hogwarts is very inviting." He nods in agreement at my words. "It's home to a lot of us." He says almost somberly. "I can understand why." He throws me a glance and a small smile. "What was Ilvermorny like?" He asks. Uh oh. "Hogwarts reminds me of Ilvermorny. They both have a very warm feeling to them." I say, racking my brain quickly. He nods in understanding but doesn't push the subject which I'm grateful for. "I'm sorry for not speaking of it. It's just...difficult for me still." I say to him and put on a fake look upon my face. "I completely understand Vienna. I have a feeling it'd be hard for me too." I give him another smile as we walk into the Great Hall. 

    Immediately my eyes search for a tall black haired boy and find him being crowded by a petite blonde girl. She had her arm linked with his and was practically sitting on the poor boy. A weird feeling develops in my stomach and I scrunch up my face at the sight before me. Abraxas notices my tense stature and is quick to explain. "That's Druella Rosier. Theo's cousin. She's absolutely vile, and has been after Riddle since the first year." I shake my head quickly at the growing sense within me and nod my head in understanding to Abraxas' words. "You can sit beside me Vienna." He gives me a soft smile, and I suddenly find myself thanking a Malfoy for the company. "Thank you." 

    We find ourselves sitting across from Tom and the Druella girl, who now has her icy blue eyes trained on me. "So," she begins, her voice causing my head to already begin to ache, "your what all the talk is about." She gives me a snide smile. "It appears so," I say to her while spooning porridge into a bowl in front of me. "I mean, I don't know why. you don't seem very special." She says almost offhandedly. Don't freak out Vienna. "That's because I'm not very special," I say to her, meeting her gaze. "Obviously." She states, scrunching up her face in disgust. I feel my blood begin to boil at this girl's obviously rude intentions. "I'm sorry," I begin "I don't know who you are. What did you say your name was?" I meet the gaze of Tom for a moment, who seems to be rather enjoying the conversation, and I hold in an eye roll. "Druella Rosier." She says, lifting her chin proudly in the air. I nod and under my breath, I say "odd name." Beside me, Abraxas snickers at my comment, and Druella lets out an angry huff. "Says the girl named Vienna." She pronounces my name in disgust. "I was named after the capital city of Austria. The place where my parents met. What were you named after?" I say and watch as her face takes upon a look of surprise. She begins to sputter out a retort but seems to forget words. I find myself smirking at the girl before me. "That's what I thought." I look to my right at Abraxas, who was barely containing his laughter and nudge him in the arm to get his attention. "Abraxas can you pass the butter?" I say to him, and he nods, not trusting himself to speak and hands the butter wordlessly to me. Another angry huff comes from the witch across from me. "Well," she begins, capturing my attention again, "you're parents must be so proud of their precious Vienna."

    My violet eyes meet the blue orbs of Druella's and she visibly flinches at the look I'm giving her. The whole table had seemed to stop in their conversations and turn their hearing to our conversation. You're shaking Vienna, calm down. I take a deep breath and take a bite of my now buttered toast before answering. "I wouldn't know," I say to her, and I meet Tom's intense gaze for a moment, "they're both dead." I focus my attention on the still uneaten porridge in front of me. A moment later I feel a nudge and I meet the stormy eyes of Abraxas. "I'm sorry to hear that Vienna." He says gently. I give him a small smile before answering. "Quite alright. They were murdered when I was 3." I turn my gaze back to the shocked face of Druella. "Anything else you'd like to say to me, or can I finish my breakfast now?" She shakes her head no, and abruptly stands and leaves the Great Hall. There goes my hassle-free day.