starlit smoke

Lee sat under a tree. The spot had a great view of the lake, which was utterly beautiful during a sunset.

She was smoking a cigarette, her last of her stash. She enjoyed watching the smoke unfurl in the air, like the wind was dancing.

It was rather late, the stars twinkling in the sky. She took another drag.

"It's past curfew, you know," a voice said from behind her.

Standing before her was Percy Weasley, a Gryffindor prefect from her year.

"Couldn't sleep."

"That is no excuse, now get to bed before I deduct points," he crossed his arms.

"Can I watch the stars for just a while longer?" she asked. "I haven't seen a sky as beautiful as this one since summer."

"How do I know you won't just stay out if I leave you here?"

"Then stay," Lee answered. She patted the ground next to her, "sit with me, relax a bit. We both know you need it."

He huffed and sat reluctantly. He kept a rigid upright posture. Lee sighed and held out her cigarette.

"Take a drag and relax, man."

He looked at her hand doubtfully.

"I'd really rather not."

"Come on, it won't kill ya," she insisted. "This is my last one, so it's your last chance."

She took another drag before holding it out again.

"That can't be sanitary."

"Yeah, probably not, but you need to learn to take some risks. I thought you Gryffindors are supposed to be daring.

"And I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to be well behaved."

She snorted, "We're only calm because half the time we're stoned. You should come to one of our parties, as long as you don't snitch. Don't worry, we don't let the little ones come."

Percy looked shocked. His eyebrows raised and mouth slightly parted.

"Does Professor Sprout know about this?"

"Course not, actually I think she might. I mean, she's the Herbology teacher, she must know what pot looks like."

Lee sat up suddenly and grabbed Percy's collar. She leaned in close to his face.

"If anyone finds out I told you, I'll be murdered, and my death on your hands," she whispered.

"I'm sure you'd be fine," Percy whispered back.

"Hmm," she took a moment to think, "you sound a lot sexier when you whisper."

She let go of him and fell back into her relaxed pose. The boy's ears were as red as his hair as her last comment sank in. It was quite cute, really. She decided to try and make him flush more.

"I'm sure you could get any of the birds here wet," she took a drag again, giving up on getting him to try. "If you didn't follow the rules so much you could have any girl in school with that whisper."

Now his cheeks flushed a pretty pink.

"This is hardly an appropriate conversation," he said awkwardly.

"Why?" She asked. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"Yes," Percy replied, refusing to look her in the eyes.

Lee put out her cigarette on the ground.

"Sorry," she said seriously. "Sometimes I just say things without thinking about them first."

Percy stood up and brushed off his trousers.

"Well, I think it's time to get you back to your common room," he held out his hand, which she took.

"You don't trust me enough to let me walk by myself?" Lee teased.

He smiled slightly before shaking his head, "not in the slightest."

She laughed and walked with him to her Common Room. They didn't say a word the whole trip. They finally reached the wooden door, the only indication of its true contents being the badger carvings on the doorknob.

Lee turned to Percy before giving him a kiss on the cheek. She stood on her toes to whisper in his ear.

"That blush is pretty fucking hot, too," she whispered into his ear before darting into the Common Room.

She didn't get a chance to see the magnificent blush, but she was sure it was there.