CHAPTER 12

Lady Charlotte was having tea when Raphael returned with his men. She had offered him a cup, which he gladly accepted. It wasn't nice rejecting a gift from Charlotte. Everyone knew that.

"So tell me,what did you find out this time?"

"My Lady, I have quite some pleasing news for you."

"Go on,tell me".
Charlotte said, without exhibiting any feeling.

  One look at her face,and Raphael's face lost its grin. " A good source of mine,told me that Maria lives in Ponti ". He looked hopefully at Charlotte.

  She took another sip of her tea and savored the taste. She wasn't feeling excited, she'd never allow herself to feel,until the day she'd see her daughter in the flesh. " Is your source credible? "

  "Very credible my Lady".

  " Send for them, I want to speak with your source."

  "My Lady! That's quite extreme. Sources never expose themselves. It's very risky".

   " I don't intend to see their face. Don't get me wrong, I said speak and not glare. So send for them, I need to get answers, private ones."

  "I'll do just that my Lady". Raphael replied defeated.

     Charlotte poured fresh tea,into her now empty cup. " you may leave".

        After the meeting,Charlotte had attended to other activities.
She was a wealthy woman,and that called for a strong hand. If she didn't run her household with an iron fist, she was afraid it would end up in rumbles

          The first place she visited was  the laundry room. She stood silently at the back of the room and  watched as the ladies did the laundry diligently. She smiled at a few as she made her way to the kitchen area.

        The kitchen was big,with various utensils stacked up in different positions. The floor was polished clean, and the windows cleaned to perfection. Charlotte watched the young maidens, as she stood there she remembered that Maria Gonzalo, had worked in this same ground.
She wondered how someone who had been trusted enough to work in the kitchen area, could go behind her back and commit such an atrocity. Charlotte looked at the faces of all the women as they went about mixing different spice and food items, all she saw was Maria's face.
She decided to skip lunch.

   Moving to the labourers,she noticed they were tired. She told them that lunch would be ready soon and they should go clean up before it was served. They all thanked her.

     Returning to her room,she sat on her soft bed which was covered with purple blankets, and wondered if her daughter had even eaten breakfast.

Thanks for reading!

  Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘