|| Chapter Eighteen - Grief||

Devon's words registered in my mind. I was mortified at the thought that Devon could be realising this is bigger than him. Isaac has been in a gang for most of his life, he concealed it well enough. Never discreetly, but well.

   "What-" I swallowed the lump in my throat, "What are we going to do?" I whimpered. The gunmen were pacing around outside, messing with the doorknob and muttering profanities. If they were just relying on looking- they'd believe we weren't in here. That is the scary part, they knew we were still in here, granted they couldn't reach us, they still knew.

   Devon shook his head slowly, both in defeat and confusion. My lips stretched thin as I bowed my head and cried silently. I was scared; scratch that, I was absolutely petrified. I didn't know why Isaac had suddenly targeted me, took my mother from me...

   All my friends- sort of- were members of a gang and I had no idea until Devon was on his deathbed.

   And Devon. Speaking of. The guy who threatened me and then suddenly wanted to protect me, the guy who is in awful condition, but is here. In the corner of the room. Hiding with me and trying to keep me calm.

   I watched as his fingers grazed my thigh, his hand squeezing ever so slightly. It wasn't big, but it was the reassurance I needed. Slowly, I raised my hand to wipe the tears from my eyes. When I looked up, Devon was watching me. His green eyes- regardless of the dark circles- were bright as they bore into mine, his hair was disheveled as usual- but even more so.

   He opened his mouth to speak, "I-"

   The door burst open and two men, armed with weapons, sauntered in. One of them was small, bulky and looked as though he could barely fit into his clothes. His buttons were fighting to hold the material around his large, hulking chest. He had a dull bald head, with dents and scars mapping it. His eyes were depthless, dark and cruel.

   The other man concealed his features. He was tall, that was for certain. His eyes were the only feature showing- he had soft blue eyes. They didn't feel threatening however, he definitely was. His cargo pants were filled with an assortment of weapons and ammo. 

   "Well, well, Well." The small one crooned, "Look at the two lovebirds huddled together before they die." Devon's hand teared away from my thigh as he said that. The cold that greeted me there was pitiful.

   The man looked taken aback for a moment before laughing, "Ooph, trouble in paradise kids?" He nudged the taller man with his elbow but received no reply.

   "Tell me..." the tall one drawled, "What is the big bad boss doing locked in a medical room?" The barrel of his gun was facing Devon as he spoke.

   Devon smirked, "can't you tell?" I watched him motion to his body, "I was stabbed by your boss' goons." A harsh laugh erupted from him, "dick move."

   "This is war-" the small man growled.

   Devon choked on a laugh, "War?" He mused, "No grandpa. War would mean that mundane people actually care and... they don't." Devon shrugged, I knew what he was doing. If he kept the men distracted with his games, we could hold them off until Harrison comes back.

   "So you don't think the people are worried?" The tall one butted in, "I know one person in particular, he wasn't in a gang, he didn't do anything wrong. It was just wrong place, wrong time right Devvy?" The youth in his voice shone through. I watched as Devon paled, his jaw clenching in fear.

   "Not today Trent." He hissed.

   "Oh, I think now is a perfect time, don't you Paul?" Trent said, looking down at Paul. I swallowed hard again, what were they talking about.

   Devon was virtually growling with rage as the two men joked around. I watched as he slipped his hand into the waistband of his boxers and pulled out a gun. The men didn't notice Devon pulling it towards their faces, and they wouldn't have had time to prepare anyway.

   One bang. Trent was down.

   Two bangs. Paul was down.

   The men were crumpled on the floor, blood slowly pooling around their heads. Terror gripped me as the ringing in my ears died down.

   I looked at Devon as he sneered at the bodies, "Cruel men deserve cruel endings." He stated coldly, as if that gave any justification to what he did.

   "What were they talking about?" I asked wearily, the deadly Look in his eyes left me feeling unsafe. Devon looked almost unhinged. I suppose killing someone- or killing in general- would do that to you.

   "They were being inhuman." He muttered, "playing on sadness, Isaac knows your father died right?" He asked, I nodded, "They were going to use that to their advantage." The barbarity of the men's intentions rattled me. What human uses grief to their advantage?

"My dad has been dead nearly nine years." I said, "how could they use his death against anyo-" Devon interrupted me.

"Just trust me." He ended the conversation with his harsh tone. I watched him for a moment, his face was a picture of rage before... before it crumpled.

   He grunted as he threw himself off the chair, wheezing when he hit the floor. I panicked, running forward to help him. At first, he pushed me away. Until his arms gave out. He was breathing heavily on the floor by the time I lowered myself down.

   "Shh..." I soothed, slowly pulling his head into my lap. He frowned at me, trying to fight it, but I held him tight. Cautiously, I began to drag my hand through his hazel locks, twisting the hair between my fingers. I watched as his eyebrows relaxed and his eyes slowly flitted shut.

   He began breathing normally, "...this...is...temporary..." he choked out. His jaw was set in a tight grimace.

   "Stop talking Buttmuncher." I laughed.

   A small smile played on his lips before he took a deep breath and relaxed. I took the opportunity to look at him, admire him. His eyes where moving around under his closed lids, his nostrils flaring gently as he breathed. His lips were slightly parted as he lay there.

   However, I couldn't help but recall his words, they sent shivers up my spine.

"We're fighting against a fucking tsunami."

He was right.

Awww little cutesy bit at the end...

©️//®️