With A Little Help From My Friends

Do you need anybody?

It's the big day. The spotlight shines onto me, blinding me. It's too hot. I can feel myself sweating as I grip the microphone. I open my mouth to sing...

I woke up, my hands and neck sticky with sweat. I had had the same nightmare over and over agin even though the performance wasn't for two weeks. It was always the same - I sing and it goes horribly wrong. The audience boos and shouts me off the stage.

Shuddering, I calmed myself down, got out of bed and got changed. I was going to meet my friend that day. There wasn't anything to worry about for ages.

After breakfast and a cup of tea I walked to Maddy's house. She my best friend. She likes me for who I am, which is great since we're both a bit eccentric.

"Hi Emma!" She exclaimed happily when she opened her door for me. "Come on in!" She ushered me inside, her curly red hair bouncing up and down with joy.

We went up to her room and chatted a little bit about the usual things we talk about. The Beatles, McLennon, George's cheekbones and blah blah blah... I still can't get the awful feeling out of me that I'm going to mess up.

Maddy seemed to see through my smiles and asked me what was up. "Emma." She said gently. "There's nothing to worry about." I didn't say anything and looked down at her fluffy pink carpet.

"Tell you what." She said kindly. "Why don't we do a bit of practise? That'll make you feel better." She leant over and grabbed her electric guitar that was constantly plugged in. I told you she was eccentric.

It seemed strange that such a fierce looking instrument could even exist in such a cuddly pink room.

Maddy is a genius at guitar. Unlike me. I can't play anything for toffee. I watched her magic fingers dance on the fretboard as she played the opening. Then I joined in.

After we had practised for a good half hour I felt a lot better. I gave Maddy a huge hug. It was great to have friends like her.

"Hey!" She said suddenly. "I have an idea! Let's go into town and buy something." She winked cheekily. I grinned and patted my coat pocket. A few coins clattered inside of it. "Okay." I smiled. "Let's go!"

*

We walked around a couple of shops before something really caught my eye. It was *cough* a soft toy. Don't judge me - I have a soft spot for them. Especially this one.

It was an adorable fluffy Old English sheepdog. The only reason I knew this is because I had seen pictures of Paul's dog Martha - I was never really a dog breed nerd.

Anyway, it had the sweetest chocolate brown eyes and the softest fur - I was in love. Hastily, I pulled some coins out of my pocket and counted them. Yes! I had enough!

I turned to Maddy to ask if she thought it was a waste of money. She laughed. "Of course not! Money you enjoy wasting isn't wasted!" I grinned at the way she had twisted the quote. Although I wasn't 100% sure it was wise, I picked up the toy and went to pay.

I had nearly reached the desk when a menacing shadow blocked my path. "Well. If it isn't little goody-two-shoes Emma." I gulped. It was Caitlin. She hated me. She used to be my friend when we were about 8  - but once she tripped me up by accident and I had told the teacher. She had hated me ever since.