Chapter 21: Messages from an 'Insomniac'

Having the day away from the office was relieving, to say the least. It allowed Seven some space away from Nicolas and think about what had happened the night of the party. Doing the errands and driving around, he realized how embarrassed he was by what had happened. If he had the chance, he would go back and drink more so he'd at least have the possibility of forgetting some stuff. The time away from Nick gave Seven that chance to breathe and think about what's next.

Of course, he wasn't in love with his boss. It was more embarrassing than anything. His face grew red because he remembered how vulnerable he was. His legs trembled because he remembered the sensation of having Nick inside of him. His heart raced because he saw the man that saw him fully naked and having sex with him. It was embarrassing.

Lying down on his bed, staring at the ceiling in the dimmed room didn't help. His stomach turned and he bit his upper lip as if he were scratching a mosquito bite.

After his errands, when he got to the office, he didn't think Nicolas would still be present. Asking to stay to help him... he did it to have the chance to apologize to him. Apologize that he was unprofessional and how he failed at his job at being an assistant Nick could rely on. Though what was an apology, led to a more confusing conclusion with Nicolas admitting that it was his fault. Now Seven didn't even know if he should be mad or relieved.

His phone vibrated next to his ear, making Seven tense up from the sudden noise and movement. It was around 3 in the morning and the assistant didn't expect an early message from anyone.

Probably spam.

Seven turned himself over, now lying on his shoulder as his hand that faced the ceiling reached for the phone.

Nicolas Anderson: Sorry if I woke you up. Just wanted to thank you for staying overtime to help with my work.

Serene Ochoa: It's no problem, Mr. Anderson.

Nicolas Anderson: Oh, did I wake you after all?

Serene Ochoa: No, sir. I'm having difficulty sleeping.

Nicolas Anderson: Why is that?

Seven thought about it for a minute or two. His eyes were heavy and his body was limp and lazy. He had no motivation to do anything. He was tired, though it was like a small creature was in his brain trying to bring up topics and 'showing' small 'videos' to remind him of the donation party. He inhaled deeply, his fingers touching the letters on the screen.

Serene Ochoa: Insomnia, I guess. Not much I can do now since I don't have medication with me. I'll give it an hour or two for my brain to just give up and let me rest.

Nicolas Anderson: Ahhh. Interesting. I do have to ask something though. It's been bugging me since you left.

Serene Ochoa: What is that?

Nicolas Anderson: You mentioned this life motto you followed at the office. I wanted to ask why you wanted to be the sidekick instead of the hero. I know you mentioned that it was because you don't see yourself as the 'leader' or something, but you could always work on it. Medication for anxiety, coping mechanisms... Anything really.

Serene Ochoa: Are you saying this because you want to drive me away from being your assistant?

Nicolas Anderson: Of course not! I'm mentioning it because I do think that you have just as much capability of being at the top as anyone I know.

Serene Ochoa: I'm flattered, Mr. Anderson. Though, thinking about it now, I do realize how easy it could be to make my way to the top. I am still young and still have a lot of time and energy to change my path... though, as I said before, I'm not meant to be a leader. It's not because I don't want to, but I love helping those who do want to be a leader and succeed. I'd like to watch you and help you excel at your job. Is that hard to believe?

Nicolas Anderson: ... Of course not. I've met plenty of 'Heroes' in my life. I think it's just been bugging me because I never met someone who genuinely was fine with being the sidekick.

Serene Ochoa: It's pleasing.

The conversations stopped there for a bit. Ochoa waited silently for a response while Nicolas lay on his couch, his phone held over his face as he stared at Seven's last message. He gripped the phone in his hands and tilted his head off the couch, cracking it softly to ease the tension. He wondered why he was stressing out about every message he sent. It was the first time he considered his words carefully, not wanting to say something that would ultimately make his assistant uncomfortable again. Before it wasn't an issue, but when Nicolas was given a glimpse at what type of person Serene was... it was like he didn't want to lose him. He doubted his feelings; ignoring the spinning motion in his stomach and the beating of his heart and his cheeks burning, concluding that he was only really interested in the type of person Seven was.

Nicolas Anderson: Are you busy tomorrow night?

Serene Ochoa: What for?

Nicolas Anderson: I have to go somewhere.

Serene Ochoa: I'm free tomorrow.

Nicolas Anderson: Okay. I'll tell you the details tomorrow at the office. It's late. I'll be off to bed. Goodnight, Seven.

Serene Ochoa: Goodnight, sir.

Serene dropped the phone back to its set spot on the pillow, turning to his back and facing the ceiling again.

"Seven?" he spoke to himself, "Did he just type my favored name?" Serene scoffed, rubbing his red cheeks that burned against the palm of his hands.