Snake Eyes {31}

I pulled my shoes on and left my house. I went over and climbed into Maxx’s car, greeting him with a kiss before putting on my seatbelt.

                Maxx pulled out of my driveway and took my hand in his. He started off down the road, Makeshift Romeo blasting out of his speakers. I reached over and turned the volume down a little so that we could talk.

                “Maxx, where are we going?” I asked.

                 Maxx gave me a small smile. “You’ll see when we get there,” he said. But I could detect how nervous he was. Just where in the hell was he taking us?

                We drove in silence save for the music. I relaxed back in the seat and stared out of the window, trying to figure out where we were going.

                “You’re never going to hurt me again, and there’s no way to take back all those things you did.”

                I mentally sighed. I was still sore from the beating I had taken from Joey and Glen yesterday, but I knew that would heal. And so would Maxx and I. Our relationship would heal. I loved Maxx so much. I was glad I had chosen to take him back.

                “Maxx,” I said in shock as he pulled into the driveway and turned the car off. “What are you doing?”

                “I’m wrapping up the past so I can move on already,” he said, getting out of the car and opening my door. He took my hand in his and pulled me up to the front door, ringing the doorbell and waiting anxiously.

                Stephen Falcone opened the door with a smile. It slipped off his face as he stared between me and Maxx, and then down at our hands.

                “Uh, hello boys. Come in,” he said in confusion, stepping aside.

                Maxx and I entered the house and Maxx pulled me over to the kitchen table. Maxx nodded at it. “Dad, sit down,” he said, his voice flat.

                Steve sat down and we sat across from him. “Maxx, what’s going on? I thought you and Mark broke up,” he said.

                Maxx nodded. “We did. But we got back together. And I told him, dad. I told Mark everything. And I also told him I’m done.”

                “What do you mean done?” Steve demanded.

                “I mean I’m done! Dammit dad; what kind of father brainwashes his only son into hurting people like this? You told me it was good. You’ve always told me it was good and I trusted you. But I hurt Mark, and I can’t change that. I can never change the fact that I hurt innocent people, thinking I was doing the right thing. Dad, I love Mark and I’m done with your stupid game,” Maxx snapped.

                He dug around his pockets before producing the dice. “Take these back. I don’t want them. You cheated on my mom because you were scared of being in love. Do you know how much it hurt me to see you guys screaming at each other? To see my mom cry? To be split between you two? And you used me to hurt her more!”

                He slammed the dice down on the kitchen table. “Take these back,” he repeated, trying to get control of his temper. I squeezed his hand comfortingly.

                Steve slowly reached over and took the dice. He put them in his pocket, his face pale. He stared at Maxx before sighing and shaking his head.