Chapter Twenty-Five

Sang

Sang

The barracks weren't at all how I expected them to be. Beds littered around the room, squished into a tiny space, and the washroom made no promises of privacy, only further guarantees of future embarrassment. The floorboards creaked and wind gusted through the nooks and crannies in the walls, while smells of old dust and dirt clung to every piece of outdated furniture.  

Sean pledged to start a routine that would give me my space in the washroom when it was needed. I could have kissed him.

Victor and Gabriel hung back so I could wash up, while the rest of the team made their way to the mess hall with Henry and the others. Gabriel fussed and fretted until I ditched my cloak and let my hair out of its braid. I was dressed in a dark tunic and a dark pair of pants, which made me feel oddly exposed despite the fabric covering most of my skin. 

"What will the girls say when they see me dressed so...unconventionally?" I asked. The females that I seen in the crowd were clothed in dresses, which made me frown. It had to be awful training in them. 

Victor chuckled. "They'll be so scandalized, they'll faint in their places." 

I grinned at him. The good humor was exactly what I needed, if only to help me get over the anger simmering beneath my skin, like a shadow waiting to claw itself out and attack Owen the moment it caught sight of him. 

The crisp air gushed passed as we strolled down a pathway that led to the mess hall. The sun peaking through a break in the clouds would have kept me warm if it weren't for my damp hair resting on my shoulders.

"Oy! What the fuck, Vic? Are you just going to let her freeze to death?" Gabriel asked. His words were like fog in my head, all I could do was admire the afternoon sunlight dancing across his angular chin and cheekbones.  

I didn't know when it happened, but I'd begun feeling safe around them. After getting passed me having to hide being a rider, I started noticing how handsome they all were. With a war brewing, I did realize that twiddling my thumbs and gawking at their features was probably the last thing I should've been doing, but it wasn't something that could be helped.   

In the span of one heartbeat, I felt hands rest themselves on the top of my head before a prickling heat hit my scalp. I yelped and jumped away. 

"What in the blazes was that?" I asked as I eyed Victor's hands, which were held palms up in a placating manner. I touched the top of my head and found that it was dry. 

"You just got a taste of Vic's own magic, Trouble. Pretty damn neat, eh?" 

I raised questioning eyes to Victor, who smiled a charming smile at me. His eyes glowed a fiery ember and I fought to not get lost in them. "That was your magic?" I asked, my voice sounding a bit choked.