Chapter 20: Think before you speak

“You are late.”

Liam O’Brien was glaring at her, clearly not impressed. Dana scowled; she was not in the mood for his show of authority.

“Whatever, tell me something I don’t know.”

Raising his eyebrows, Liam studied her: she could be strong headed and cheeky all right; but she wasn’t rude or insolent, ever.

“Why?”

“I’m sorry, but this is none of your business. Shall we get started now?” she snapped, annoyed. After the overbearing prick, he was trying for the understanding father; he really had his timing all wrong.

“Oh, but this is my business. Something happened to you, which got you late and stressed out. If this is going to impair your training, I need to know it.”

“It won’t.”

“Let me be the judge of that. Come, I can see you need food, when was your last meal and what have you done since?”

Dana sighed and caved in. Resisting him was futile, he had to have the last word, and she needed him. And he was right: she should have eaten before coming and had used too much energy already; she was starving, and his cooking skills were amazing.

“Deal, but you’d better make it good…”

He smirked cockily:

“Don’t worry I will! The shortest way to a woman’s heart is through her stomach isn’t it?”

“Actually, the stomach is on the side and the heart more in the middle, hard to get your sword through both, Sensei…”

He stiffened a laugh and got busy in the kitchen. Soon they were seated in front of deliciously smelling plates.

“So, I’m waiting.”

In between mouthfuls, Dana filled him in on the day’s events. His appearance remained unfazed, but she could tell at the tension in his jaw that he was furious.

“Those twisted bastards! That’s an all time low, even for them! You had a lucky escape this time but they will try again, especially if they learn that you intend to compete. It’s a chance that you just have to sign in on the day or they would try and put pressure on the judges. They wouldn’t be above threatening their families. I’ll see what I can do, I don’t want you to live in fear of their next move…”

“Please, don’t put yourself at risk for me, I can deal with it. I’ll just have to be extra careful for a month or so,” she shrugged.

“That won’t be enough. From tomorrow on, you’ll sleep here, it’s safer. They could buy any of your comrades to assault you at night in the camp.”

He smiled:

“I have to find some use to these guests room, haven’t I?”

“But Sensei, people will assume that we…, your reputation…”

“Let them talk, we both know they certainly do already. It’s even better; this way they won’t wonder why you come to me every evening.”

Dana nodded pensively; it sounded more and more like a good idea.

He interrupted her thoughts, getting up and standing behind her:

“Speaking of which, I need some explanations from you, my dear; do the terms “Sir Hunkalot”, “push-ups”, “sadistic dominative hunk” and “spanking” remind you of something… you said, by any chance?” he whispered to her ear in a soft tone, his hands on the table, caging her.