8

I had so few possessions of my mother's.

All I'd thought of was that damned silver tree. My mother's pendant hadn't even crossed my mind. It was all I had left of her. How could I have disregarded it when my connection to her seemed so tenuous now?

For the last few years I had thought of her less and less. I was ashamed that I needed that pendant to help me remember her. I was ashamed that a silver ornament meant more to me than her favourite necklace. I really hoped that she wasn't looking down on me in disgust right now.

I let the loss of it sink in. It seemed such a small trophy for a thief to justify the amount of chaos left in the apartment. It was only silver and garnet. Hardly worth a thing to anyone else.

Evan put down the mugs of tea and sat by me on the bed. He held my hand in an offer of silent support as my grief settled into a heavy sadness that I would have to learn to carry. Finally, I explained why the pendant was important, feeling shittier with every word that my loyalty had been to the silver tree and not my mother's necklace.

"I'm so sorry. Maybe if you give the police a description of it, they could track it down in a pawn shop or something?"

"Yeah, I suppose, but the thieves probably just threw it away when they realised how little value it had. It feels like its gone, I should just accept it."

Evan put his arm round my shoulders and pulled me close. His embrace felt good, so did the distraction from the ache in my heart.

Enjoying the comfort, I rested my head on his shoulder, liking how warm and solid he was. Tenderly brushing my hair behind my ear, his hand lingered on my cheek, fingers gently stroking my skin. I looked up to meet his eyes as the energy of our connection prickled and buzzed over my skin.

Intense blue orbs met my gaze. He may have been distracted by the tree before, but now his attention was all mine.
The hot, glow from his eyes flowed out, enveloping his form. I straightened up, captivated by the effect. Tiny blue particles danced close to his skin. A thrill of energy ran through me at the beauty of it.

His hand cupped my cheek, the rough, warm skin of his thumb tracing light circles, heat following where he touched. He slowly pulled my face to his. My body tensed in anticipation, his lazy pace driving me crazy. Finally we connected. His kiss was soft and gentle, lingering on my lips for a few delicious moments. The warmth of his skin flowed into mine, radiating through my body in tingling throbs, each one stronger than the last.

Evan pulled back, a questioning look on his face. There was no doubt in my mind. I wanted this. That kiss had ignited something deep within me. Energy pulsed through my veins. I felt bigger, stronger, than before. There was no stopping now. I wanted, no, I needed more.

Running my hand through his soft hair, I coaxed him back until our lips connected again. Evan playfully nipped my bottom lip. I opened my mouth and his warm tongue stroked inside. Desire coursed through my body, bringing with it hot bursts of adrenaline. They got faster until the energy and heat merged together into a surge like an electric current with no source or outlet. I was going to blow if he didn't give me release.

Responding to my need, Evan lifted us down the bed so that I was lying, and he was above me, supporting his weight with one arm. The kiss became intense, his other hand caressing the side of my body until it reached the hem of my shirt. He pushed up my top and stroked my bare stomach. My heart raced and my breath began to quicken as his hand moved towards my breast.

Urging him on, I slipped my hands under his shirt and massaged the warm, smooth skin of his taut stomach before moving around to the hard muscles bunched tight as he held himself over me. Evan groaned as he lowered himself to his side and pulled me in to face him. My body burnt with anticipation.

The air around us fizzled, as though the energy created from our connection had nowhere to go but towards climax. A gasp escaped as his hand reached my breast. My breath became jagged and hurried. He pushed my shirt further up my body. His lips left mine, moving to kiss and caress my stomach. My mind raced as his mouth slowly made its way up my body. 

A loud slam jolted me back to the present.

Every physical impulse told me to ignore the interruption. My mind agreed. I pulled Evan's warm, strong hand back to my body. I growled in frustration when he resisted. It was only when it was obvious that Evan was not going to finish what we had started, that my consciousness returned to tell me to be embarrassed. Pulling my top back over my body, all that delicious energy seeped away to be replaced with a deep feeling of mortification.

Crap, I'd thrown myself at him.

Evan smiled. He was lying on his side with his head propped up by one hand, completely at ease with the obvious sign of his arousal. I blushed. Now that my mental functions were working again, I couldn't believe how carried away that I'd got. I'd only ever had one boyfriend. I'd never initiated sex like this before.

It was fair to say I'd been missing out.

"Um, I think I'd better go and check who just came in," I said hurriedly, thanking God that the bedroom door was shut. I'd been so tied up in the moment with Evan that I'd forgotten that the apartment was wide open.

Evan winked, "I'll wait here for you." 

Okay, so that wasn't a rejection. I could handle that. My mouth twisted into a stupid little smile. Until I saw who was waiting for me in the other room.

Face slack with shock, I braced myself against the doorframe.