Twenty One

Tina, Newt, and I walked to the docks together. It was Newt's last day in New York and we were going to see him off.

"Yeah, and Queenie said Jacob finally asked her out yesterday." Tina smiled.

"Ughhh." I pulled out my purse and gave Tina what I owed her.

"You placed a bet?" Newt laughed, looking down at me.

"I thought Queenie would ask him first." I pouted, disappointed in myself.

We walked down to the docks slowly, laughing and conversing lightheartedly.

By the time we reached the large boat that would take Newt back to England, we had completely forgotten that this was the last time we would see him for a while. 

Our good moods slowly died down. Newt fiddled with his hands and Tina and I exchanged glances.

"Well, I guess this is it." Tina said, almost in disbelief. She went up to Newt and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. I smiled at the two as they parted. I saw Tina's eyes were filled with tears as she turned and walked off, giving us a few minutes alone.

"Um..." Newt kept his eyes on the ground and nervously fiddled with his fingers.

"I've had a great time with you, Newt." I started, grinning at him.

"Yes, I-I've missed you all these years, Eve. And I'm sorry that I never wrote back to you, but I've wanted to give you something...well..." He placed his suitcase on the ground and opened it. Ruffling through, and shushing some particularly rowdy creatures, he suddenly pulled out...

"Oh Merlin." My hands flew up to my mouth as I gasped.

Newt Scamander, my oldest and bestest friend, was now kneeling down with a ring in his hands. The ring was in the shape of a small dragon. Its silver, metal body carved in a circle, so it looked like, if worn, it would look like it was wrapped around the finger. It's small eyes were 2 shiny diamonds. He held it up to me and gulped. "Eve..." He started.

"Oh, Newt, wait

"Oh, Newt, wait." I interrupted, pulling him up to stand once again. I could feel him shaking nervously. 

"Newt, I love you." His head snapped up at my words, eyes wide. "I've loved you ever since I was a stupid little 11 year old. But, this isn't the right time. You're going to England. I'm staying in New York. You're going to finish your book and I have my own goals that I want to accomplish here. Do you really want to spend our engagement apart?" I asked him.

He didn't say anything, so I let out a breathe, placed my hands on his face and brought it to my own. 

Our lips connected for only a few seconds, but my heart exploded with the rush of new emotions. I felt Newt's arms wrap around me and held me in place, pulling us even closer together. 

When we finally parted and my eyes fluttered open, I felt the dam open: my eyes pricked with tears and I let out a laugh. 

"Oh, I've been waiting for that to happen for so long." I grinned at him and he laughed as well.

"To be honest, I-I'm disappointed that I didn't kiss you first." He said with an amusing tone.

I grabbed his hands in mine, "Newt, I am so happy that you would give me this," I referred to the ring still in his fingers, "but now isn't the time." 

Newt nodded with a saddened look. "I understand," he said. We stood in silence for some time.

An idea popped up in my head and I smiled, "You know, I could be your girlfriend." I said cheekily, rolling on the heels of my feet.

"How could I say no to that?" Newt grinned at me and stole another quick kiss before stepping back. 

Newt picked up his suitcase hesitantly, staring at me all the while. "Well..." Newt gulped.

"I guess..." I didn't want to say it. So I just pulled him into another hug before gently pushing him away. "See you soon." I said optimistically.

He just smiled and waved before he boarded the boat that would take him back home.

"Honey..." I heard Tina's voice behind me. I turned to see that she had witnessed our conversation. I let my shoulders slump as she ran forward and hugged me tightly. 

"I miss him." I mumbled into her shoulder.

"I know, Eve.

I know."

❦    ❦    ❦

❦    ❦    ❦