Book 2: chapter 6

The first days of our journey carried us across barren lands where the wind was always present and crisp with cold, but the sun always shone and our spirits were high. Because of that, days passed quickly as did the leagues we crossed through the country.

Gandalf was positive we were already ahead of schedule, though I'm not sure what the schedule entailed. Anyway, because of his good mood, we were allowed to take a days rest so our feet can carry us with ease the next day. We halted where the land grew more rocky and scattered with gentle sloping hills.

As I eat my last scraps of food I am entertained by the training given to Merry and Pippin by Boromir. Their swords clash lightly making the noise ring through the still air around us. Very still air I might add. There is no sight of beast or person within my sight or hearing range. I would have at least expected a rabbit now and again.

I glance towards Legolas who is also observing the lands around us from his perch on the edge of the dell, but he doesn't seem to find anything either as of yet for his shoulders are relaxed.

I wonder how his father will react when he receives news of Legolas going on another wild adventure. I doubt Legolas will return if his father asked him to. He is more focused on the common good than only the Woodland realm, ever since Tauriel opened his eyes.

Thinking about her saddens me. During our nighttime conversation, Legolas spoke of her and explained she left this world with a broken heart, though without regrets. I hope she's happy now, wherever she may be.

"If anyone were to ask for my opinion, which I note they have not, I would say we are taking the long way round. Gandalf, we can pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome." Gimli says to the wizard, distracting me from my thoughts, thankfully.

"No, Gimli. I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice." Gandalf replies as he puffs on his pipe, giving a nearly visible shiver. It makes me wonder what could be wrong with the Mines, though I'm glad not to be going that way either. I'd hate to be stuck underground for days on end.

"Say Gimli, how is Balin? I have not heard from him in a long time." I question the dwarf. "Is he well?" I ask.

"Uhm, well...I suppose." he stammers.

Gandalf shakes his head. " No one has heard from him since he left for Moria. We can only wonder." he explains.

This worries me, as no news is usually bad news these days. "I'm sure he's fine and just very busy. Running a realm such as Moria takes up a lot of time you know." Gimli defends with clear certainty.

I smile warily at his words. "I do hope you're right Gimli."

He can give no more comment as our attention is drawn back to the sword fight that has turned into wrestling match as Merry and Pippin decided they had enough training and dove right on top their teacher, tackling him to the ground. The silly actions of the hobbits are a cause for great laughter throughout the campsite.

Sadly, the fun can never last long and we are brought back to attention by Sam. "What is that?" he asks worried. We look up to seen a dark mass approaching from the air. Legolas stands stiff atop his perch, focusing fully on the entity.

"Nothing. Just a wisp of cloud." Gimli replies the hobbit unconcerned.

Boromir rises, a worried look crossing his features. "It's moving fast...against the wind."

"Birds." I state, as they come closer and I finally can distinct one from the other.

"Crebain from Dunland!" Legolas suddenly calls out in alarm.

"Hide!" shouts Aragorn in response as every last one of us dives for the nearest hiding place after hiding every trace of us being there.

I grunt in discomfort as I find myself in a rather thorny bush, being pushed back further as Merry and Pippin dove in after me without a second thought, leaving us in a disheveled pile. There we wait in silence as we watch the flock of crows circle by slowly. When the distance is great enough, we all crawl from our hiding places.

"Need I go after them? I can take them down before they can report their news." I ask Gandalf hurriedly.

"No no, I do not think they saw us. Killing them now will arise more suspicion, better to leave them be." he says. Turning to the others who watch on curiously, he explains our situation; "They were spies of Sauron. The passage South is being watched." Turning to Aragorn now, he seems hesitant for a moment before voicing his decision. "We must take the pass of Caradhras."

Looking around at the company, worried by this decision, I wonder how the fellowship will put up against the cruel mountains. They seem especially grim this year, as if expecting intruders and are determined to keep them from reaching their destination.

"Is there no other way?" Aragorn questions, also sensing the great danger that will await us there.

"I am afraid not. I would not suggest it if there was a better way."

"It would seem so." Aragorn sighs as Gandalf addresses the company.

"Packup. We no longer have the luxury of rest. We will leave for the mountain assoon as we're ready." he announces grimly.