21. Storm before Calm

Leo Fiero glared around the unfamiliar office, taking in the landslide of documents spilling across the Romano's desk - it reminded him of his father's office, generally disorganised and overflowing with paper.

It seemed neither the Romanos nor the Fieros trusted technology to keep their information safe: computers could be hacked but a conversation couldn't be downloaded.

He surveyed the office, noting that the Romano was watching his every move; they took security more seriously than the Fieros. To the Romanos, everyone was a threat. The Romanos were a threat to everyone in return.

Both men in the room knew that their negotiations were in tatters, barely salvageable - neither could guarantee that the other would not pull out a gun and shoot.

The Romanos were secretive, boasting extreme power while revealing very little; no one knew how far their reach extended - to politics, the police, to high society. Leo hated how the Romano was observing him, hated how he was at a disadvantage to the more powerful family.

"When will he be here?" Leo dared to ask, his tone sharp. The Romano stared at him coolly, making no move to respond.

Luca debated telling Cee's brother that the boss would be here any minute, but decided against it: he never gave out information for free. It was easier to just wait, to hold his cards against his chest and use his poker face.

They didn't have to wait long.

The Romano Don opened the door silently, his calm exterior more terrifying than if he'd shown his fury. Luca caught his eye, his jaw tensing - he'd let his boss down. Niccolò jerked his head sharply, gesturing for Leo to follow him; he didn't wait.

Luca watched the Fiero stride after the Romano Don; both men were radiating power and anger, fighting for the same girl - for different reasons.

Elias folded his arms, leaning against the wall of the boss's office. The Fiero kid put him on edge; he was angry - and that meant irrational - the boy was only dealing with Mr Romano because he had no other choice.

So far, the boss hadn't said a word; merely listened with a cold look on his face and an ominous glint to his eye.

"What can you offer me?" Romano responded coolly, finally, leaning back in his chair. This was the Romano people knew and feared; cold and calculating, looking for personal gain. He had a reputation to uphold: giving out favours would make him seem weak. Charitable, almost. Elias smiled as the Fiero boy didn't respond immediately, tension clear in his shoulders.

"If you help me now, I'll give you the access to the warehouses that you wanted." Fiero was glaring at his boss, bargaining reluctantly - boss would be able to push him further, take more than that-

"Deal." Elias pushed himself off the wall, a frown forming on his face. The kid was desperate - they both knew it. He could push for a better deal, push Fiero for everything he had: bleed him dry.

Niccolò was usually ruthless, pushing his allies to the extremes; he took what he wanted, left no prisoners. Elias rarely questioned his boss (one of the reasons why his boss kept him around) but this? This was out of character.

The Don caught his eye, giving a slight shake of his head; Elias paused, recognising that the boss wouldn't change his mind - as always.

"We leave in half an hour." The boss stood up, looking down at the Fiero boy. "I'll go over fine detail after I get Camilla." Elias frowned. That girl again.

Fiero nodded, the tension in his shoulders lightening. Mr Romano sent him off to a guest room while Elias waited patiently, his eyes following the boss's movements around the room.