CHAPTER TWO

MADMAX

~

The sound of tires screeching across the concrete road made me lift up my head, removing my concentration from the book I was reading to see who was making that dreadful sound.

A blue car swerved into the parking lot, from what I could see, a blonde boy and a Red haired girl were seated inside of the car. I could also tell that they were new to the school.

The car parked, the driver side door opened as the blonde haired boy got out, wearing nearly all denim and a cigarette in his mouth, I wouldn't deny the fact that he was hot, but he also seemed like a jerk who would break your heart in seconds.

Next I watched as the red haired girl climbed out, a skateboard in her hand, she didn't say anything as she skated away from the boy, I sighed and grabbed my book, standing up before walking towards the school entrance.

I walked through the corridor, seeing a familiar brown haired boy standing by his locker. "Hey, Will." I smiled, leaning against the lockers next to him.

Will didn't say anything as he stared at something in her hands, I reached over and took it away from him, looking down I furrowed my brows. Someone had ripped out the article about Will, crossing his eyes out with red pen while the words 'Zombie Boy' were written at the bottom.

I scrunched it up and threw it into a trash can That was next to the lockers "Ignore them, Will." I spoke, watching as he shut his locker, I reached over and hooked my arm through his, pulling him down the corridor as the ball rung. "Let's go to class."

"Who do you think put that into my locker?" Will asked, holding the book he pulled out of his locker, closer to his chest.

"I don't know." I muttered, also wondering who would do something like that.
.
.
"Meet the human brain." Mr.Clarke spoke as he placed a model of the human brain down onto the table he was standing by,   I was complete sat away from my friends, a spare desk was sat beside me, so i just call the imaginary person who sits there, Jeffry.

"I know. I know, it doesn't look like much." Mr. Clarke continued "a little gross even, right? But consider this. There are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution, all working as one, no, no I did not misspeak. I did not stutter...a hundred billion."

I placed my head down onto the desk, wondering if I could catch up on a few z's before next period, I closed my eyes before the sound of a door shutting made me open them and lift my head. "Ah this must be our new student." Mr. Clarke spoke up, I looked over and saw the same redhead who I saw this morning.

"Indeed." The principle spoke "All yours."

The girl when to walk away before Mr.Clarke stoped her "All right, hold up, You don't get away that easy..come on up, don't be shy." He spoke with a gentle smile.

He turned to Dustin and smiled "Dustin, drum roll." My brother nodded and closed his book before patting his hands on it for effect. "Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine."

"It's Max." The redhead who I now know as, Max, spoke up.

"Sorry?" Mr. Clarke asked.

"Nobody calls me Maxine, it's Max." Max corrected, I let a smirk play at the corner of my lips, I already liked this girl.

"Well, all aboard, Max." Mr. Clarke spoke "you can take that spear desk next to, Elizabeth." He pointed over towards me as the redhead walked over and sat down.

I knew all of my friends were staring at the knew girl, maybe she was Mad Max, it wouldn't surprise me to be honest. "Hey."
I spoke turning to look at the girl, she tuned her head and gave me a curious look "I'm Elizabeth, but call me Eliza or E."

Max smiled slightly "I'm Maxine, but call me Max." I smiled and nodded, I already knew this would be the start of a beautiful friendship.
.
.
.
"What is this?" I spoke up, walking towards the gang who were standing by the fence, looking at the new girl "stare at the new girl time?"

Mike turned and smiled, giving me a quick kiss before turning to look at the redhead again "there's no way that's Mad Max." He spoke.

"Yeah girls don't play video games." Lucas spoke up, I slapped his arm and glared at him.

"I play video games." I responded.

"Sometimes, But you're not good." Lucas remarked, I scoffed and turned on my heel.

"I feel so attacked, so I am going to find new friends." I yelled, walking towards Max, sometimes those boys get on my last nerve.

"Hey." I spoke when I reached the spot where Max was, she turned to look at me, a smile playing on the corner of her lips.

"Hey, what's up?" She questioned, reaching down to pick up her skateboard. "And why are your friends staring at me?"

I laughed and shook my head "I have no idea, but just ignore them."

Max nodded "do you want to come and hang out in the library with me?" She questioned, I nodded my head and followed her up the stairs, she threw a piece of paper into the bin before opening the door.

"What was that?" I asked, closing the door behind me, Max smirked "it was just something for your friends."

"Please tell me you told them to stop stalking you!" I playfully begged, the redhead nodded her head with a slight laugh. "Yeah I did." She responded while I let out a very girly giggle.
.
.
.
Sometimes the darkness wasn't so bad, always allowing you to think about the things you forgot to do, making you worried, but that was comforting to me, it reminded me that I was human, not just a weapon the Lab created.

The woods weren't always a safe place to go after dark, especially after last years accident, but alas, here I am walking through the woods, the creatures in the night making calming noises, almost even peaceful ones.

The breeze from the wind blowing into my face, sending shivers along my body, my brown hair blowing behind me, even sometimes into my face.

I came across a clearing and smiled, the moons light casted a beautiful shine onto the lake, making it shine like a million tiny sparkles were scattered along it.

I kneeled down and reached forward, running my finger tips along the waters top, ruining the clear image of my face the lake mirrored, making it blurry.

I pulled back and fell backwards onto the grass, staring up at the sky, the stars glistening while the moon glowed, nature could be beautiful and peaceful, but not everyone can see it.

Authors Note,
What did you think?
~Robyn