Simply a Pleasantry - Chapter Twelve

"Stars hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires."

William Shakespeare, Macbeth

***

Abbi dreamt of black eyes and thick blood-filled wine glasses.

She was in a fit as she jumped awake. A sheen of sweet layered her forehead, while Abbi sat on the top of Nathaniel's bed; fully clothed in her white dress.

Abbi felt a sickly sweet slumber slowing down her notions, as she slowly gauged how high the sun was; filling the bedroom like a wide spotlight. Unfortunately, it was noon. There was nothing to calm her heart, and in the midst of this, she had finally the courage to look back at the previous nights events.

Black eyes; Lucifer; Mother ... Words that dragged at her conscience, and made her heart splutter even faster.

How was this even possible? What was that horrid mans gain in having Nathaniel fall in love with her? It made no sense, at all. And more importantly, the sense behind it, was mainly what Abbi was questioning. Why did the head of Vampiring Court want Abbi to break his grand sons heart? Better yet, why not just kill her off while he was at it? It would save her the remorse that was soon to follow.

Abbi couldn't bear to break his heart. Or at least, she didn't think she would.

But then there was the other piece of this precarious puzzle; Lucifer had mentioned something about her Mother. And that was what had set her off.

Abbi was caught in a Vampires deal; once again. Only this time, Lucifer's lies seemed like walking on egg shells. And she had no doubt that he would hurt anyone to get what he wanted. The man seemed rather serious about his demands.

Abbi wanted to rush to Alexander and tattle on Lucifer like a five-year-old girl, but first, he probably wouldn't understand, and maybe not even believe her. Secondly, Lucifer was the head of the Vampiring Court; and she distrusted that anyone would ever defy him.

So here she sat, crumpled and fed up with anything that had to do with Vampires. It was her own stupidity that had pulled her into this mess, and everyone else. She even had the chance to get away, but in another show of her intelligence she refused. But if she hadn't? This would never be happening.

Abbi would find her mother safe and sound; and maybe even her dad, too.

His deception seemed little compared to what Abbi was prepared to do.

She moved away from the bed, shaking as her wobbly knees buckled and she sunk against the floor. Break his heart? Did she really have to resort to such blasphemy, couldn't Lucifer settle with something else?

It was awful; the thought of deceiving him; tricking him into loving her, the sliding the rug out from under his feet. It destroyed Abbi entirely, but she knew she could not back out. Her mother needed her.

It was that spark of confidence that had Abbi standing up from the ground. Had her eyes hardening, as she moved towards the closet, all fear dissipating, slowly, but surely.

She had to help her mother, whether the consequences were unimaginable; Abbi wouldn't tell anyone of her confrontation with Lucifer. She would keep that form of torture to herself, and she would save her mom.

If I told you I loved you, then Id have to kill you.

Oh yes, kill her indeed; anything to get away from this crushing guilt. Death definitely wasn't the worse thing out there.

*****

Jeffery had explained that Lucifer took leave last night.

Apparently, the man had found everything to be applicable and decided to go home. Abbi scoffed internally at this lie.