Part 1: Chapter 1

(A/N: Mathias Lauridsen as Ethan Sterling)

Chapter 1: Maybe Boxing?

Ethan balanced his chair in a precarious position, not even noticing how unstable it felt as his mind zoned out. Class was boring, but when was history ever interesting? Ethan found tapping his pencil and leaning back on his chair far more amusing than learning what type of beast of burdens they used in Europe. 

It was barely a week into school, yet Ethan was already dying to get to their next extended break. Every single class seemed to drag on and it was rare to get him stimulated by anything anymore.

Ethan lazily looked over to see one of his classmates, a short girl with cute purple glasses, blushing as she failed to correctly recite the 5 pillars of Islam. Ethan felt a bit of pity for the girl before he quickly realized that that could be him in a few seconds if he didn’t start paying attention.

Ethan, more out of fear than anything else, zoned back into the lesson, taking the pencil out of his mouth and down onto his notebook in front of him. He decided not to put his chair back on solid ground —a boy was able to rebel right?— but did begin to read along and take notes again.

Class was getting closer to the end, Ethan could tell by his amazing senses and by the handy watch he kept on his wrist, and Ethan was impressed. He had actually been paying way more attention to history than any other day before. Usually, he just zoned out then watched some videos after school to catch up. This was an unusual win for him.

Ethan was grinning widely with a smug puffing of his chest when the door was suddenly swung open. The most shocking thing about it wasn’t the sudden swing which had his teacher’s head snapping up to it in surprise. It was actually the loud bang the door had made when it hit the wall behind it. Despite seeing the door swing open, Ethan’s body jerked at the noise. Due to the sudden movement, the chair and Ethan went sailing to the floor.

Loud laughs erupted all around Ethan as his classmates stared at his fallen form. They were probably encouraged by the odd positioning of Ethan’s legs pointed straight up in the air, or the stunned expression on his face. Either way, they laughed and Ethan went red. 

There was a clearing of a throat —probably their teacher’s from its nasally quality— and Ethan took it as an opportunity to get up and quickly sit back in his seat. When Ethan’s butt was on his chair, stably this time, he noticed a new kid standing at the front. 

He was black, his skin smooth with a deep brown tone. His face was strong, flat at the sides and at his jaw narrowing towards a flat-ended chin. His large nose, full lips, and deep-set eyes attracted one’s gaze and were distinctive about his face. Overall, there was a very comfortable air about this guy, and Ethan felt himself relaxing just being in his presence.

The chatter in the room died down and Ethan began to hear the rushed words coming from the new boy’s mouth.

“I’m so sorry, Ms.” He said, his eyebrows slopping down with his apologetic expression. “My mom forgot to tell me I would be starting school today so I came as soon as I woke up.”

Ms. Jade was nodding, seemingly waving off the new kid’s apology, which had him releasing a deep breath in relief. From his position in the back, Ethan didn’t what Ms. Jade said after that, but soon new kid was standing up straight while facing the entire class.

“Hi, my name’s Chris Davis.” The confidence that Chris presented himself with immediately caught Ethan’s attention, and Ethan found himself leaning forward to hear more. “I’m 15, in the 10th Grade, and I just moved here from Quebec City.”