004. welcome to republic city

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER .

── ☆ ☆ ☆ ──

𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 hours ago, we were leaving the cold, frosty Southern Water Tribe to go to the famous Republic City. We traveled by cargo ship which we secretly got on and slept below the bottom deck that held multiple wooden crates and supplies.

When I woke up as the ship came to a slow halt, a relieved smile appeared upon my lips. It was the first night that no nightmares had plagued my rest. I never knew how much a good night's sleep can positively affect your mood.

With an euphoric feeling buzzing in my chest, I reached over to Korra, who was sprawled against her polar-bear dog, and shook her shoulder vigorously. "Korra, wake up! We're here!"

Korra forcefully peeled open her eyes, letting out a yawn. "Just five more minutes," she muttered groggily, dismissing my hand as she rolled onto the dingy floor and resumed her slumber.

"Korra—you know what?" I paused, an mischievous idea popping inside my head. I turned over to Naga, who was sleeping right beside her. "Naga, wake up!" I cooed brightly, cupping the polar bear's snout as she immediately woke up.

"Woah, girl!" I let out a joyous laugh as the polar bear-dog licked my face. I cupped her snout again, this time giving her a convincing pout. "Can you do me a little favor and wake up Korra, please?"

She should definitely wake up now. I thought with a smirk as Naga got up on all fours and proceeded to give the biggest lick on her resting face.

She let out a disgusted groan, wiping off the slobber on her cheek. "Good morning, Naga," she gretted before her eyes widened frantically, probably realizing it was already morning. "Spirits, Katrina, why didn't you tell me we're here?"

I watched in utter annoyance as she quickly stood up and hurriedly placed Naga's saddle over her. "That's what I've been—nevermind, you loser. Let's just go."

The doors of the boat slowly opened, warm air filling in the cold ship. "My eyes!" I murmured painfully, adjusting my vision to the harsh light.

"Come on, let's go!" Korra exclaimed excitedly as she hopped onto Naga. I followed behind and we ran off the ship, thanking the people on board, who gave us a bewildered look in response.

I instantly noticed the warmth lingering against the sleeves of my navy-blue coat, making it seem inappropriate for this type of weather. I quickly took it off and followed Korra, who had wrapped it around her waist. As we crossed a busy bridge full of rushing Satomobiles, my eyes spotted the infamous Avatar Aang's statue surrounding the sea, with Air Temple Island in the distance.

A pang of realization hitted me as I scanned my surroundings. After years of my childhood and teenage years secluded down at the South Pole at the White Lotus Compound, I'm finally free. The dream of leaving that horrid place is finally starting to enfold right in front of my eyes.

"Well," I started excitedly as my attention shifted onto Korra's bright face, who was admiring her past incarnation's statue. 

"Welcome to Republic City!"