Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Let's get a V- V-I-V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!" We chanted.

Pink flooded both the home and guest sides with streamed strung along with the railing and pastel pink butcher paper covering the alternating bleacher benches. Balloons were tied to railings, out of the way to not obstruct the view of the game, while posters were pasted on the fences and were any room was available.

We had already handed out the pink poms and tossed candies and necklaces to the stand and the crowd was just getting riled up, with the student section leading the chants. The second quarter had just started and with the collaborative stunt up next, yet I couldn't help but notice how Hailey was anxiously going over the stunts in her mind.

I had caught her stumbling once or twice as she was put up in the air, yet she had brushed me off when I had brought it up in passing.

The score was 27-23, with us leading. I had caught a few looks at Gray, all sweaty and focused. He hadn't been subbed out and was performing just as great as any other game.

Our team was gaining points smoothly and with the other team giving us a run for our money, the game was an interesting one, to say the least.

"Come on Colts! LETS! GET! A LITTLE BIT ROWDY!" We cheered.

I looked at Hailey, both of us counting down.

5...6...7...8

The two of us went, both into a round-off, aerial, a back handspring, and finishing off with a forward twist in a somersault.

I caught a sharp pain in my leg but I ignored it, more worried about Hailey who misstepped and landed on her ankle.

Despite the injury, she landed and let out a cheer before stepping off the side where Coach immediately walked over to her.

A few people had noticed but it wasn't enough to pull their attention away from the stunts, so I was able to sneak off as well.

She was holding back tears, I could tell as her eyes glossed over.

"Are you okay?" I questioned, looking at what looked like a sprained ankle.

She bit down on her lip and shook her head, her first tear falling.

"Here, grab on to our shoulders," I told her, pulling her off her ankle with my coach and I supporting her weight as she hopped her way back to the tunnel.

I assured the team that as one of the captains, the best decision was to continue cheering, telling Renee to call the cheers until I returned. We held off on the stunts, opting to go in the bleachers and cheer a bit more.

Meanwhile, Coach Taylor looked at Hailey's leg along with the EMT who was wrapping it.

"It definitely looks bad, you might be out for the rest of the season." The EMT said, assessing the ankle that began to swell up.

At the news, Hailey started bawling and I knew why.

It was the last season. Being out for the season would take a toll on the team.

Hailey was still bawling but something was different.

I could hear her bawling.

Too clearly.

The bleachers were quiet, everyone silent. I didn't hear the sound of anything.

Hailey seemed to have caught on too, her sniffles lessened, trying to see what had happened.