Chapter 34

Getting ready on Monday morning wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Most of my Sunday was spent wallowing in self pity because after all that I've been through, I deserved a little sympathy. But on that Monday morning when sunlight peeked over the horizon and lazily wandered into my room with all imaginable warmth on rays of honey beams, it dawned on me that one day of pity was enough. I needed not a minute more because pity was for people who had given up. Pity was for those who needed pardon from others.

    I haven't given up, quite the opposite. I've promised myself, and the cosmos, that I will find my way back to Dustin and to the life I desired. It won't be easy, potentially impossible, but if my long term goals go according to plan, it'll be worth it.

    Come Monday morning, I got out of bed and took a lengthy shower that no doubt ran our water bill, then brushed my teeth. It was all routine, it was all familiar and shockingly easy to readapt to. Most of what I wore at the compound was Corinth's, it was borderline unnatural to return to my own wardrobe which wasn't nearly as exciting. I settled on a pair of jeans and a casual shirt. Why place effort into how I look when I'm sure no one at school has even noticed my absence.

    Yes, I was returning to school only forty-eight hours after waking up in a hospital only to find that the love of my life sent me away. My father made it abundantly clear that I was expected to uphold my responsibilities which included cooking, cleaning, and education. While Toby continuously assured me that dad was happy about my return, I've found little evidence in his attitude to support so.

    Toby didn't understand our father the way I did because Toby has never been on the receiving end of that hatred. But I didn't expect those hardships to fall upon my brother, he didn't deserve them.

    Luckily, my father picked up extra hours at work to help pay for my time in the hospital on top of the medical bills already overdue from Toby's treatments. While I felt some small portion of guilt, I was also quite happy that my father was out of the house all yesterday and was gone long before I woke up today.

    Looking at myself in the mirror provided disappointing results. I didn't feel nearly as strong or confident as I had at the compound, but whether that be because of the clothes or the environment remained a mystery. The girl staring back at me with pixie cut blonde hair and vibrant blue eyes wasn't the same girl I became at the compound, but she had the potential to be once again. I just had to find her, convince her that this situation wouldn't be permanent. I wouldn't let it.

    A knock sounded somewhere downstairs followed by muffled voices as Toby responded to our guests. I knew who it was before I ever saw their faces because there were only two people in this world who would actually visit me here.

    I collected my backpack, took one last look around the room, then made my way into the hall. Halfway down the stairs, I heard sharp gasps of shock and judging silence, and I took the opportunity to mentally prepared myself for what was to come.

    "Sadie?"

    That voice.

    Beyond my brother, the door opened wider, revealing two people standing on our front porch. Jake and Kendra, emotionless vacancy printed plainly across their faces. Despite how I've changed and even how Toby has changed, my friends looked the same; deliberate in their outward appearance and platonic in presentation. I wasn't expecting them to be different and from the way they gawked with open mouths, I could only assume they were expecting the same of me.

    "Hi guys." I began quietly, unsure how to go about greeting my former friends from a time when my biggest concern was getting home in enough time to avoid my father's wrath. Everything has changed, including me. Which meant how I held conduct with my friends has changed as well.