Seventy

"Where are you now that I need ya? Couldn't find you anywhere..."

"Hello?" I call out to the scarily empty house that is sadly the closest thing to home for me

"Hello?" I call out to the scarily empty house that is sadly the closest thing to home for me. No one responds, but I walk hesitantly out of my bedroom, certain that I heard a noise coming from towards the front of the house.

No response.

I breathe a sigh of relief, before a shuffling sound stirs from the front door as the person on the other end struggles to get it open, before Gemma appears. Looking stressed and bare faced, she's balancing trays of food in her arms, as she speed walks to the bench top, trying to get there in time before she drops it all.

"Hello petal," she greets, kissing me on the cheek after she sets everything down. "I tried to do it all in the one trip," she explains, referring to all the bags and trays of food.

"What's all this?" I ask, motioning to everything she's brought with her.

"Where do I start?" she answers, sighing aloud. "I have some casserole from Mum, a quiche from me - watch out for eggshells. And I've also picked up some groceries and things too. I know you must be... busy," she adds, her voice faltering.

"You're amazing," I thank her. I wish I could sound more enthused, but it's quite difficult when I feel this flat.

Silence once again encapsulates the room, and Gemma breaks the silence, trying her best to sound chipper.

"How about I make some tea?" she suggests, removing her hands from the backs of her jeans pockets, as she walks over to the pantry.

"No tea," I answer. "Or milk..." I add, embarrassed at my incapability of being able to manage.

Scouring through the shopping bags, she brandishes both tea, and milk, and fills the kettle with some water in preparation.

"Thank you, again," I express, sitting down. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"It's absolutely no trouble," she shrugs off. "You know I'd take any excuse just to see you."

She opens and closes cupboards in search of the mugs, while I take a seat at the table.