Something Entirely New

Nothing is more tragic than loving someone to the depths of your soul and knowing they cannot and will not ever love you back.

--

We're still locked inside the room. I can feel Lauren's steady breathing at the base of my neck. She had fallen asleep in my shoulders while I sat in the cold dark floor waiting for someone to open the door.

I sighed and glanced at my best friend. Her face was inches away from mine. I stared at her and wondered, how did I ended up falling for her even though I knew from the start that we could never happen?

I tore my gaze away from her and took a deep breath.I closed my eyes and willed myself to forget about my feelings but flashes of the past haunted me again.

I'm sorry but I only love you as a friend
It continued playing in my mind.

Her voice when she said it back then was still etched in my memories like it was only yesterday.

Why can't I get over her? What did I possibly do to deserve this kind of burden in my heart?

I felt completely tired and vulnerable. I've been pretending to be strong for so long that it's finally taking a toll on me.

So even if I didn't want to, even if I willed myself no to. I drifted off to the abyss of my mind and dreamt about the past once again.

"I thought I was special to you.
I guess it was just me." Lauren said as we sat in the terrace of the tree house overlooking the trees and the crimson splashed horizon.

"What are you talking about? You're my best friend.Ofcourse you're special to me. "I replied while looking at her. She's still wearing her school uniform and I'm still wearing mine.

You're more than special to me. Was what my heart shouted.

"But she's also special to you isn't she? " her eyes looked really sad as she watched the sun set in the horizon.

"Who? " I inquired.I'm really puzzled and worried at the same time. I didn't know what I did to make her feel this way.

"Catherine " She managed to say, still not looking at me. Catherine's my new friend in school. But she doesn't mean to me as much as Lauren does. We've been hanging out almost constantly and I didn't know Lauren would feel upset because of that.

"Wait a minute. Are you jealous? " I asked.But instead of denying it, she just reverted her gaze elsewhere. I felt really bad afterwards.

"Hey look at me. You don't have to be jealous. You're different.What we have is different. "I explained. She's really sensitive when it comes to our friendship.

She really values what we have.

"I'm sorry. I'm not usually like this but I'm afraid of the prospect of losing you.I'm afraid that you'll leave me too."she said while hugging her knees.

I didn't expect her to say those things. I have no idea that she felt threatened of Catherine or that she felt insecure.

Guilt suddenly consumed me. I should've known what she's feeling but I didn't. We've been spending less and less time with each other ever since her dad made her attend a different school from mine.

"I've got an idea. Let's do something that we will never ever do with anyone else." I suggested.

"Something memorable that will prove how much you mean to me. Of how much different and special this friendship is. " I smiled at her and she smiled back. I really want her to know that she's everything that I will ever need and no one can ever replace her in my heart.

She seemed to think for a moment and then suggested something that caught me off guard.

"How about a kiss? "

For a moment I thought that it was just a joke but her face was firm and serious.

My throat went dry as I repeated what she said.

"A kiss? "

"Hmm yeah. You'll never do it with her or anyone else right? We'll be each others first kiss and nothing will ever compare to that."she winked at me as if it's not a big deal when in reality I'm already having a mini heart attack.

"Is that okay with you? " I inquired. I only want what's best for her and I don't want her to do something she'll regret later.

"Of course.You're my best friend and I want to share this with you . " she looked really determined and I on the other hand must've looked like a mess.

I calculated if I should agree because you couldn't just kiss your best friend and not face the consequences right?

But even though my mind told me not to my heart told me otherwise.

"Okay. If that's what you want then..."I didn't know what came over me but I said yes.

It was a blur after that. It happened very fast.

The next thing I know I felt her lean towards me and kiss me. I thought it will be just a peck. But her lips lingered longer than what I had expected.It stayed there for a few seconds until her lips moved. And I moved mine.

We didn't know what we were doing. For a moment, I forgot about the fact that she's my best friend and that's all that we'll ever be and got lost in the kiss.

It was a gentle kiss. A chaste kiss.But it was something that will forever be engraved in my heart.

We had to stop at some point and she's the first one to break the kiss. We catched our breaths. Too embarrassed to look at each other.

For a moment I thought that she'll regret what happened and push me away but what she said made my heart flutter even more and ignited the hope that shouldn't even be lit in the first place.

"Your lips are really soft" I looked at her and she's blushing. I bet that I am too but who cares?

"I like it "she whispered as she stood up and went inside the tree house.

I was left there still motionless.

It was my first kiss.

It was with my best friend.

And she liked it.
--
A loud clanging sound of metal and keys disturbed my sleep.

I immediately surveyed the area and felt someone stir from my arms. It was Lauren and she was tucked in my embrace.

Then the memory of how we were locked inside the storage room flashed before my eyes.

How long have we been here?
Four hours five hours?
We have no way of tracking the time so time became irrelevant.

But now someone is opening the door.
"Someone's opening the door.We're gonna be out here soon. "I whispered in Lauren's ears because I know that she's still scared .I held her tighter in my arms. Our faces incredibly closer but we didn't mind.

The door creaked open, revealing a familiar figure. My heart skipped a beat because I didn't imagine her opening that door and finding us huddled in the corner with my arms draped around Lauren and our faces inches away from each other.

"Allison." I said while she stood in the doorway looking perfect as ever.

---
Hi guyss!! I'm so sorry I've been out for quite some time. I've been having a hard time in school with our five research studies and all. I hope you understand. I promise to make it up to you soon.
Love y'all

P. S.
Please don't hate me.