Chapter Four

Sirius turned the letter over in his hands, almost hoping that on the back his mother had scrawled that is was all a joke

He didn't seriously need to go home for Christmas and present a lovely girl to the rest of his family, did he?
Surely his parents didn't expect him to show up with someone they approved of.

"Looking glum, chum." James sat down beside him at breakfast and unfolded his copy of the Daily Prophet.
"Wonder why." Sirius mumbled, reading over his letter again.
"Ready to head down at see the Slytherins practice?" James raised an eyebrow mischievously but Sirius didn't respond, keeping his eyes on the letter.

"What's it say?" Remus asked from across the table.
"My loving parents want me to go home for Christmas because the whole extended family will be there." Sirius explained.
"Sounds like every other Christmas for you." James pointed out.
"They want me to take a girl so they have plenty of time to brainwash her before they force us into marriage." Sirius finished.
"Oh." James, Remus, and Peter replied in unison.

"You're not actually going to take someone?" Peter asked.
"Well, it might get them off my back for a bit." Sirius shrugged, scrunching up the letter in his hand and dropping it into his glass of water.

"And what unfortunate girl is going to be forced through Christmas with your family?"

Asteria walked past the Gryffindor table at breakfast just as she heard Remus muttering those words to his friend. She pulled her robes tightly around her shoulders as she left the Great Hall and departed out into the Hogwarts grounds.

Maybe if she made it to the quidditch tryouts early, she'd at least be able to grab a broom and then the Slytherin team would have to see her fly.

"Look who it is..."

Asteria recognised instantly the sneer of Snape as she strode towards the quidditch pitch. She wasn't particularly interested in engaging in a battle to the last word with the boy and attempted to ignore him.
This did not work.

"Off to get rejected by the quidditch team again?" Snape smirked, walking beside her.
"Go stick your nose in somebody else's business." Asteria snapped coldly.
"Someone's not very friendly."
"It's you."

Just as Snape opened his mouth to retort, Lily caught up with them. Her hair flew about her face and her cheeks flushed red as she panted.

"Did you not hear me calling you? I was shouting for you to wait!" Lily exclaimed, instantly taking her usual place in between Snape and Asteria.

"Are you coming down to watch?" Asteria asked.
"Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Lily beamed.
"I don't want you getting insulted or whatever because you're a Gryffindor coming to support me." Asteria warned, weary of the nasty things the Slytherins could say.

"Don't worry, I heard a few of the Gryffindor quidditch team are trying to sneak down to spy on your practice anyway." Lily winked, linking arms with Asteria.
"Are you sure you're not one of them?" Asteria joked.
"I honestly don't have a clue between good and bad flying."