38: Take a Break

OCTOBER 31, 1993

EVERYONE AT HOGWARTS STOPPED what they were doing when they heard a loud scream echo the halls of the castle. Arabella had just dismissed her last class of the day and immediately ran out of the classroom to investigate. Upon following the sound, she ended up at Gryffindor tower. A group of students, mostly Gryffindors, and some staff were gathered around the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. Arabella made her way through the crowd and gasped at the sight she saw once she reached the front.

The Fat Lady's Portrait was slashed and Sirius Black had broken into Hogwarts.

_____

"ARA IF you have anything to do with this, please just tell us." Remus said exasperatedly, his right hand rubbing his temples as he looked at Arabella.

"For the millionth time," Arabella said, her voice getting more and more frustrated with each word that escaped her lips. "I did not help Sirius break in! Make me take some veritaserum and I'll tell you the same thing."

Murmurs of agreement were heard throughout the room. "Unfortunately, veritaserum is strictly controlled by the Ministry and it would take an entire Lunar phase for us to brew it ourselves. You have been such a great addition to our staff and I suppose we trust you enough to just take your word for it, Ms Arroway." Dumbledore said. Grumbles could be heard but Dumbledore was quick to quiet them all.

"I did not help Sirius Black break in, you have my word." Arabella said, looking Dumbledore straight in the eyes. He nodded, believing her.

"I believe you, Ms Arroway. However, I think it would be best if you took a break from Hogwarts until all of this is sorted out."

"But sir-" Arabella started in protest, but Dumbledore raised his hand to quiet her. 

"I agree with the Headmaster. Your daughter can stay here but in order for us to avoid a scandal, we cannot have you teaching. Even though we trust you, the Ministry does not. They are very serious about catching Mr Black. You may come back when all of this has been sorted out." McGonagall said, looking at Arabella with sad eyes.

"But who will teach Arithmancy?"

"A friend of mine who used to teach here before wouldn't mind filling the post for the time being. I'm sorry, Arabella. It's for the best." Dumbledore said, smiling at her sadly.

Arebella nodded as she fought the tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "I understand. I'll pack my things and I'll be gone in the morning."

Her vision blurred as she got up to leave the room. As she headed out the door, people turned to look at her with pity as an uneasy silence fell over the room.

_____

ARA THREW her clothes into her suitcase, stopping every now and then to wipe the tears that were flowing from her eyes. The train would be coming to pick her up in an hour. She sighed as she closed the suitcase shut.

A knock on the door stopped her from entering a new train of thought. The door opened to reveal Remus, her daughter, and to her surprise, Fred Weasley.

"What are you doing here?" Arabella asked, a weary smile on her face.

"Why else do you think?" Cass said, walking towards her mother and giving her a hug with Remus joining in.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this, Ara. I do believe that you didn't have anything to do with it, I'm sorry if it seems like I don't" Remus said, a hand on her shoulder.

"It's fine. I guess I needed a break anyway. It's just that I love teaching here and everything with Sirius,  it's all so sudden. I also don't know if I can handle being in the house alone." Arabella explained.

"It's alright, mum. I can come with you if you'd like." Cass offered.

"Absolutely not." Arabella laughed softly. "But thank you for the offer sweetheart." 

Arabella turned to face the Weasley twin that still stood near the door, she raised her eyebrow as if to ask what he was doing there.

"I was with Cass when she was told what was happening and she asked me to come with her." He explained, closing the door and walking towards them.

Arabella only looked at Remus and both shared a small smirk and a shrug. However, the two didn't fail to notice Cass' cheeks turning the slightest tinge of pink.

"I see." Arabella said, looking at Cass who kept her head down.

"Oh and professor?" Fred said, looking at Arabella with nervous smile.

"Yes?"

"You're my favorite Arithmancy teacher." He said with a smile, his hands in his pockets.

Arabella couldn't help but laugh at this. "I'm your only Arithmancy teacher. But thank you, Mr Weasley. That was sweet of you."

_____

ARABELLA ARRIVED home at around 3 in the morning. She kicked her shoes off and dropped her suitcases as soon as she stepped inside.

As she took off her earrings and placed them inside her jewelry box, a certain piece caught her eye. There it was, buried in bracelets, rings, and other accessories, 

a simple necklace with a capital letter A pendant.

Tears threatened to fall as she took it out from the box. 

She took off the chain that was currently around her neck, sliding off the engagement ring that Sirius had given her all those years ago. She put back the chain where the ring once hung on inside the box. 

She now slid the ring and watched it fall and find its place next to the "A" pendant of the necklace Sirius had given her in their fifth year. 

That necklace now hung around her neck as she went to the closet to find something else in particular.

Hidden in the corner of what used to be her and Sirius' shared closet, hung a leather jacket. It was probably too small to fit Sirius now, dust had gathered on it  after all these years of not being worn.

She took it out and sat on the bed. She held the jacket close, almost as if she were hugging it tightly, and let the tears fall freely. 

______

guess who's back

back again

hey! part's kinda shit and we only have about 7 chaps left before the story ends yIKES.

anyways let me know what you think in the comments below and give it a vote if you think it was worthy

lots of love and see ya soon,
arielle