40: A Free Man

JUNE 6, 1994

"THAT WAS A NOBLE thing you did back there Harry, he didn't deserve it." Sirius said, admiring the view of the Hogwarts castle at night. Harry stood beside him, this was the last place he thought he'd be at after his Divinatation exam. He expected to be sitting in the common room, hanging out with Ron and Hermione. He didn't expect to be outside the castle, standing with the man who he thought was the reason his parents died, finding out that his best friend's pet rat was the actual reason, and to top it off, one of his Professor just so happens to be a werewolf.

"I just didn't think my parents would want their two best friends to be killers. Besides, dead, the truth dies with him. Alive, you're free." Harry explains. 

In the background, they could hear Remus struggling with Peter Pettigrew. Peter pleading to Ron and Hermione that they spare him.

"I don't know if you know, Harry, but when you were born James and Lily made me your Godfather." Sirius said, still looking at the castle.

"I know." Harry replied, his face now turned to face Sirius.

"I can understand if you choose to stay with your aunt and uncle, " Sirius starts, his hands fidgeting. Arabella always told him that he fidgets when he's nervous. He refused to believe it though. "But if you ever wanted a different home-"

"What? Come and live with you?" Harry asks, cutting him off.

"I can understand if you don't want that. It's just a thought. I-"

"I'd love that, Sirius! Thank you." Harry smiles, grateful that he was finally able to leave the Dursley's home now that Sirius can prove his innocence and become a free mean.

"It won't be just us two though. Of course there's the matter your godmother and our daughter." Sirius laughed. "I can't wait to see them again."

"Oh, right! Professor Arroway-" Harry starts but was immediately cut off by an excited Sirius.

"Professor? She's a professor here now?" Sirius asked, his eyes lighting up at the mention of Arabella. 

Harry's heart almost melted at the sight of Sirius. He had a grin on his face as he waited for Harry's reply. "She teaches Arithmancy. Her daughter, well I guess it's really your daughter, goes here too."

"Arithmancy? That's quite unexpected. She always loved Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts though. She's a really skilled duelist. And Cass is studying here as well? She must be in her fifth year now." Sirius rambled, a smile still gracing his face, making him look years younger than he actually is.

"Fourth year actually."Harry said with a small smile, but it quickly faded when he remembered his and Cass' current predicament.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Sirius asked once he noticed Harry's distraught features.

"It's just that Cass and I had a fight last December. I blamed you for my parents' death and she kept insisting that you were innocent. I didn't believe her and we hadn't spoken since then. She was absolutely right." Harry said sadly. 

"Well, you should know that your godmother is one of the most forgiving people I know. Trust me, I've done a few terrible things when we were still studying here and she forgave me. I'm absolutely positive that it's a trait that she's passed down to our daughter, or at least taught it to her. She'll forgive you." Sirius said with a small, comforting smile. 

Harry was starting to feel better until he heard Hermione scream his name in distraught.

The next moments were all a blur for Harry. All he remembered was Remus turning into a wereworlf with Sirius trying to stop him, running through trees, and seeing a bright light before passing out next to Sirius.