Chapter Five

Sirius rubbed his hand over his jaw, feeling the lump literally shrinking under his touch

Magic really was quite impressive.
As he pushed open the door of the Hospital Wing to leave, he saw a small girl leaning against the wall in the corridor, kicking at the ground.

She looked up as she saw him, and froze momentarily before starting towards him.
"Are you alright? I didn't mean for you to get hit before." Asteria started, worry filling her eyes. It instantly faded as her eyes fell on his unbroken face.

"It's fine." Sirius shrugged, "I'm sorry by the way."
Asteria furrowed her eyebrows, "About what?"

"What I said about being a muggle born Slytherin. I wasn't being mean, I didn't mean to be. And, sorry I ruined your chances of getting on the quidditch team." He admitted, running has hand through his hair as they walked side by side away from the Hospital Wing.

"It's fine." Asteria shrugged, "My chances were ruined before you got knocked out by a girl." A smirk grew on her face as Sirius' jaw dropped open.
"Please tell me that was a joke." Sirius spoke.
"Well it's funny... But also really, really true." Asteria giggled.

"You know I really don't think it's fair. If you could try out for the Gryffindor team you'd easily get a spot, and probably be the best player there." Sirius admitted, slightly sheepishly.
"Thanks, at least one person thinks so."

"Well thanks I guess." Sirius dug his hands into his pockets.
"For what?"
"You waited outside the Hospital Wing, I don't see anyone else doing that."
"Your friends were here but they left to go tell everyone you were punched by a girl." Asteria smiled.
"Sounds about right." Sirius sighed.

"Well, I better get going. I'll see you round I guess... Oh, and thanks for trying to help." Asteria smiled before walking away from him and towards the library.

Sirius stood, his hands in his pockets, as he watched her walk away. Something about her surprised him.
Talking to Asteria was completely different to seeing her around school. She was friendly and warm and funny and not what he had expected.

Asteria pushed open the door to the library, causing the smell of parchment and old books to instantly fill her nose.

"Ria!"

Asteria turned to the side to see Lily sat at one of the tables beside Marlene McKinnon.

"Lily... Marlene." Asteria smiled as she stood by their table.
"Well sit down, Sev found me after breakfast and said that a letter arrived for you." Lily pulled the envelope out from under her book and handed it to Asteria.

"Thanks but... I should get going." Asteria eyed the weary look Marlene was giving her.
"You sure?" Lily asked.
"Yeah, I'll see you round." Asteria took the letter, "See you, Lily and... Marlene."

Asteria turned away and walked further into the library, turning the envelope over in her hands. She made her way to the back corner and tucked herself away at an empty table out of view of everyone else.

She didn't particularly want to open the letter. She didn't want to read what her parents had to say.

"Might as well get it over with..." Asteria signed to herself before tearing open the envelope and unfolding the letter.

Her eyes glanced over the writing on it. Only she wished she hadn't read it.
Asteria wished that her parents didn't hate the world she was involved in. But as she saw what her parents were saying, a plan started to form in her mind. Her parents had a friend with a son Asteria's own age who they wished to introduce - of course he was a muggle.

"Fancy seeing you here, Halloway." Avery sneered, leaning against the bookcase to see her.
"Think it's more unexpected for you to be here, really." Asteria replied, scrunching up her letter.

"What's that you got there?" Avery raised and eyebrow and cocked his head to the side.
"None of your business."

"Give it here." Avery held out his hand.
"How about no?"
"Give it here."
"You deaf and stupid? I said no."

Avery tightened his jaw, "You're a nasty piece of work, mudblood."

"Avery, go away." Lily stormed over, her face as bright as her hair.
"Oh look, mudblood defending mudblood." He cackled.
"Avery. Get lost. Isn't it time you went and kissed up to Regulus?" Asteria rose from her seat now, glaring at the boy.

Avery's face paled and he threw a book to the floor before barging past Lily and leaving the two girls in peace.

"That was all rather dramatic," Lily smiled, picking up the book from the floor and dusting it off.
"I know, I'm not used to it."
"Reckon news got around from the quidditch tryouts." Lily suggested.
"Yeah... Well there's always next year." Asteria shrugged.

"I don't know how you can be so optimistic." Lily laughed, shaking her head.
"I'm not optimistic; I know I won't make the team. I'm just ambitious and I have nothing to lose by trying."

Lily folded her arms, there was no doubt her friend was a Slytherin.