sixteen

||CHAPTER 16||
《¤》

My friends didn't suspect when I lied about bad stomach during break, just so I didn't have to go to the canteen. Nerdy Qureshi always brought his own food, and was always in the classroom during recess, but when he sensed that I'd be accompanying his solitude, he was ready to go down and away.

"Hold on, Qureshi," I stopped him sliding in front of him. He wasn't brave enough to defy me, something scared the shit out of him when he had to face me.

"Mai tumhare khilaaf complaint karunga, you can't bully me!"

I felt like laughing at his ridiculous idea, "Bully you?! Why would I even try to bully you?"

"Because I ratted you out, and you're in trouble!" He was holding onto his scratched steel bottle dearly.

"Dude, calm down," I sighed. "First of all, I admit I am a bad girl who gets into trouble, but I'm not weak. I do not bully people. Still, after our conversation, if you feel like I've hurt you or your sentiments in any way, you can go ahead and complain."

He studied me with the curiosity of a five year old. "Then what do you want?" A sudden realisation hit him as his eyes stared at me with disgust. "You want me to do something fishy, don't you? Tumhe bhi pata chal gaya hai ki I'm not new money. Yes, I am not, and I study on scholarship. Tum mujhe apna koi kaam karane ke liye blackmail karne wali ho na ab? Go ahead, all of you spoilt brats do the same!"

I hugged myself, feeling doubtful under his demeaning gaze. "Mere paas tumhe stalk karne ka fizool time nahi hai. I didn't come to blackmail you or whatever. You said that to me yourself. And what's so bad about studying on a scholarship? If anything, you should be proud of yourself!"

He stayed silent for a minute, before looking down, "You're really good at scheming."

"Dude, why do you hate me so much! I didn't even fight back when you ratted me out, I accepted whatever punishment I got. I'm here just to ask a favour, and I'll even pay you if you want! After that, I promise I won't ever cross path with you. You just need to stop judging people, Qureshi!"

His thumb grazed over his tattered steel bottle, analysing before hesitantly giving in. "What is it?"

I sighed, determined to get my work done. "I've heard you're good at repairing things. My grandmother's radio was broken ages ago... and it's really dear to me. If you could-"

"Fine. Send me the radio after school."

I was delighted, "I've got it right now-"

"You brought a stereo to school?"

I shrugged, reaching over to my bag which was extremely heavy and bulky today.

He was awestruck at the piece in front of him. "I'll... I'll do it."

He kept on checking the radio, looking for the fault.

"When will it be ready?"

"I've got some spare parts at home... so if we don't get much homework today, it will be ready and working by tonight. But..."

"But what?" He had popped my happy bubble. "Is it about the cost? Don't worry, I can pay you as much as you want!"

He had the guts to laugh at my nerves. "No, that's not the problem. Yeh bohot bada hai, mere bag me nahi ayega. Mai ise ghar kaise le jaunga?"

I hadn't thought about the possibility of a nerd having compact bags. "Uhm... I'll carry it for you?"

"And what will you tell your friends? You know right that you belong to the rich kids and rich kids don't hang out with us."