The End of Us

"I must say Mister Stark has really outdone himself this time." Malcolm smirked while watching the million flowers Tony sent.

My entire office was filled with flowers, and unknowingly I smiled.

"Thanks Malcolm." I nodded before stepping in my office.

I haven't seen him since that night, but undoubtedly I missed him.

There was a knock on the door and at my permission the person entered.

Surprisingly, it was Tony with another bouquet of roses, and some chocolate.

"You're really spoiling me you know that?" I smirked and he chuckled nervously.

I could sense that he was uneasy, and I sighed.

"What is it Tony?"

I expected him to tell me that he was sorry about that night, and that he didn't mean to call the suit, and I would say that it was fine, and then we can move on, but what I saw changed everything.

"There's...lipstick on your collar." I whispered in shock, and he nodded slowly.

"I kissed Pepper." He closed his eyes as if waiting for me to blow up, but I didn't.

I stood there frozen in my spot, eyeing him up and down in disbelief.

"No..." My voice was barely even audible, and the pain in my heart was extra-ordinary.

"No..." I repeated trying to see whether if this was a dream.

"Did you sleep with her?" I gritted my teeth, and blocked back my tears.

I wasn't going to cry.

"No! I swear to you Valentina!" He tried taking a few steps towards me, but I stepped back with every step he took.

"And it's supposed to make it all okay?!" I shouted throwing my arms around in anger. "And all this?" I pointed to the flowers he got me.

"It was because you were feeling guilty weren't you?" I glared at him, and watched his heartbroken expression, and for once I didn't feel bad.

"No, Valentina...I got those for you before..."

"Why didn't you sleep with her then? Clearly I wasn't on your mind when you were making out with her then why..."

"Because I love you!"

"You just think everything is going to be okay now because you were man enough to tell me yourself!" I ranted, not being able to stop the words from coming out of my mouth.

"Did you hear what I just said?" He whispered, and I clenched my eyes shut once I processed what he said.

"Well, love isn't everything..." I bit my lip, and my eyes became blurry while I watched him look down at the ground while setting the box of chocolates down.

"Yes it is." He paused for a minute before staring me in the eyes. "You go without it long enough...and you realise it's everything."

"I love you, and I'm only in the beginning of loving you..."

I sat on my chair, head in my hands.

I was about to break down, and I didn't want him to see me like that.

"Just get out..." I whispered not trusting my voice at the moment.

"Va-"

"I said get the fuck out Anthony." I watched as he flinched from the coldness of my voice.

He nodded slowly, and walked out of my office, leaving me to drown myself in my sorrow and despair.

****

                  •Tony•

Gulping down my drink, I sat in my office chair, desperately trying to forget that I ever did kiss Pepper.

Trying to convince myself that it's all a dream, and that I would wake up next to Valentina in the morning, but all that hope was crushed the minute Pepper stepped inside my office.

"Hey..." she whispered, and I just stared at her, not saying anything.

"What happened?" Tilting her head to the side, she dropped my files on the desk, and waited for my reply.

"I told her." I managed to choke out, through my pain. Never in my life have I ever experienced this kind of pain.

"Why would you do that?" She furrowed her eyebrows as if I had done something insane.

"Because...I didn't want to lie to her. Because I didn't want to keep anything from her...Because I wanted this one to work." I shrugged, listing the reasons.

"Just leave...Can you do that?" I asked her, and she looked to the ground.

"Tony I won't...."

"Pepper! I want you to leave..." I tried to explain to her, but she shook her head.

"I love and care about you Tony, and I won't leave you like this, and I know that I am the world to you as much as you are to me then what's the problem." She angrily stated not understanding my feelings for her apparently.

"Pepper..." I paused a bit and cleared my throat. "You're my friend and you'll always be in my life, but...she's it."

"My entire world revolves around this woman, and even though it's now over between me and her...I don't want to be picturing myself with anyone but her..."

"You really love this woman don't you?" Biting her lip and trying not to cry, she raised her eyebrows in need of my answer.

"Do you?"

"Yes...I love her." I finally admitted.

I am madly, deeply and truly in love with her to the point that I cannot function without her.

Knowing that she's in pain because of me is killing me, but what broke my very being was her face when I told her what I did.

I betrayed her, and I don't know how I'll be able to come back from that.

"Wow..." she breathed out, finally understanding my feelings.

"Then go after her Tony...don't let her go." she nodded quickly, letting her tears fall before she sprinted out, leaving me to drown myself in the alcohol.

I didn't go home that night.

I never stopped leaving voice mails and text messages for her, but she answered none of them, and as I sat on the grassy green area where we had our first kiss in Malibu with my suit next to me, staring at the beautiful ocean waves, I wanted nothing more than to turn back the hands of time.

I wanted nothing more than to have her next to me.

I wanted nothing more than to see her beautiful smile.

I wanted nothing more than her.

But I knew...I knew by the look on her face.

That it was the end of us.