chapter nine

I stood there for a few moment processing what Elena just said. 1953? That would make him 56 years old.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I managed to sputter out.

"The man said he knew Stefan... and his brother in 1953." She confirmed softly. I just stood there silent for a few moments thinking it through. How could that be? That's not possible.

"This is Micheal Fell reporting to you from the Salvatore boarding house, where a brutal animal attack has ended in tragedy." A loud male voice reported. I turned slightly to see the giant telly screen showing a black and white video of the Salvatore boarding house. I crept closer to get a better look and lent against Elena's chair lightly. "Okay, they're bringing out the body. See if you can get any closer." Micheal Fell instructed. The Camara zoomed in slightly on the body being pushed out on a stretcher covered in a white sheet. The view didn't stay on the body for long before it was moved over to a person hiding away in the shadow of the house, watching. "Is that the nephew?" Micheal asked.

I couldn't make out much detail on the person watching and obviously neither could Elena. She paused it and started clicking buttons. The screen zoomed in and I recongized the person straight away. Stefan. He looked exactly the same. I turned to Elena who looked deep in thought. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't thing of anything too say. What could you saying to your sister who just found out her boyfriends some kind of immortal.

I opened my mouth to say something but the words got lost in my throat. I tried again several times without so much as a noise being heard.

I took a deep breath and wrapped my arm around Elena. "I want his skin products." I joked, trying to ease the tension gradually building.

"This isn't a time to be joking, Lillie!" She snapped, standing up and storming out. I sighed before following closely behind.

Walking through the woods at twilight was always a favourite thing of mine to do. I loved nature and i loved the night. The night was beautiful and secretive. The darkness hiding things, making everything that more mysterious. It gives everyone a chance to hide who they are in my opinion, don't ask me how but i just feel like a completely different person out in the dark, i feel like I can be my self and there is no one out there to judge me because no one can see me. The darkness of the night is like my security blanket, it's always there, keeping me safe. And nothing will change that.

I knew my way through the wood of by heart even without having to see where I was going. Although having been away for a while the tree and bushes have grown out a lot making me trip now and then.

I wasn't very far in when I heard music coming from in front and I knew I was getting closer to place I heading.

"Viiiiiiiiicki!" I sang loudly over the music as each of my steps bought me closer to my friends. I stopped in front of the truck and turned the music up higher. I laughed when cheers could be heard just past the bushes.

I pushed them aside and strutted over to the group of people lying around a fire. When I got in front of them I stopped and broke into a pose. They clapped and cheered, I bowed and gave them a wink before plunking myself down on the dirt covered ground.

"Lillie, Since when have you been back?" My friend Tony slurred slightly. I smiled and shrugged.

"Just a few days. Sorry I haven't visited much been under Elena watch."

"Eh, it's fine. We'll live." Ruby joked. I army crawled over to Vicki and layed my head in her lap.

"Why the long face?" I asked jutting out my bottom lip, staring up at her. She smiled down at me.

"Your brother."

"Ah, forget about him tonight! Forget your problems and let's have fun!" I shouted fist pumping the air. She pushed her head back and laughed.

"See this is why we're best friends." She announced and passed me her smoke. I took it without hesitation and inhaled deeply, sighing with relief.

"Man, I missed this." I admitted as I took another puff. Everyone chuckled.

We sat there around the fire, listening to music and getting high for hours. Each of us laughing at someones stupid jokes or just someones stupidity.

"I don't wannnnna move!" I confessed laying across Vicki and Tony, with a beer bottle in my hand. Just as i spoke the music stopped. I groaned loudly.

"Not it!" Me, Tony and Ruby exclaimed all at ones, leaving Vicki to mumble incoherent words under her breath as she shuffled out from under me. I clung to her, wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Noooo, don't leave me!" I cried and she pulled away from my grip. She dusted of her bottom and turned to walk towards the car. "Noo, Vicki! How could you leave me here all alone?!" I cried out after to her. She giggled in response but didn't turn around.

"You're not alone, you've got us." Ruby mumbled from the other side of the fire. Her Left arm laying lazily across her eyes.

"Yeah, well...ehhhh" I muttered as I couldn't think of anything to respond with.

We layed there not moving, just soaking in the silence for about 5 minutes before i started to feel funny. I pushed myself up slowly into a sitting position and stayed still untill everything stopped moving and looked around.

"Hey Vick?" I asked. I waited, but didn't get a response.

"Hey, shouldn't Vicki be back by now, and shouldn't there be some music?" I asked anyone who was listening, and that turned out to be nobody. I huffed and stood hesitantly, looking around us for a moment. When I didn't see anything i followed the trail that Vicki took, to the car.

Getting to the car only took a few seconds and Vicki wasnt anywhere to be seen. I cautiously walked over to the truck but was stood in my tracks when i heard a twig snap to my left. I froze. I stopped breathing. I listened out but didn't hear a thing. maybe it was an animal. I went to take step forward but breath on my neck stopped me. i could feel the presence of someone's body right behind me. I could hear the sounds of their even breathing and could feel it upon my neck. my eyes were wide and i could feel myself shaking. i couldn't stand having my back to this person, so i hurriedly stepped forward and spun on my heels to face the unknown person behind me.

I came face to face to face with a monster. Dark eyes stared down at me, red and black veins were worming their way around under his eyes, his lips stained with a scarlet liquid. I was terrified, I didn't know what to do. Everything about this situation felt familiar and that seemed to scare me even more. The monsters mouth stretched into a smirk and he advanced towards me. With every step he took forwards I took back, keeping a healthy distance between us. This felt like cat and mouth. It was a game to him and he was enjoying it. We kept up this pattern untill my I felt the rough texture of bark against my back. He kept getting closer and closer to me, his smirk intensifying with every step he took. I didn't take my eyes off him as he stopped a mere foot from me. I watched as he stared intently at me, looking into my eyes and traveling down. His gaze stopped on my neck and he a grew a hungry, longing look in him eyes. His smirk disappeared and he growled.

And the last thing i saw before nothingness was his demonic face aiming for my neck.