chapter ten

Darkness surrounded me like a blanket. Wrapped around me securely, with no way out. It was weighing down on me, gradually getting heavier and heavier. I felt it pushing down on my ribs against my lungs, forcing the oxygen out, leaving me gasping for air. I was struggling to breath, my intakes of breath being small, not enough to give me energy. I could feel myself begin panic. I tried pushing against the darkness, I tried fighting against it, and it didn't make any difference, it was still draining the life out of me.

I gave up. There was nothing I could do to fight it, so I let it have me. I let myself surrender. Giving myself up willingly. I always thought you were weak if you gave up, but whats the point in continuing if you know your going to lose?

I could feel my self going, getting weaker and weaker, it almost having drained me completely, when a light started to appear. It wasnt much of a light, more of a embered glow, but i could see nonetheless and it gave my a flicker of hope. So i fought again, focusing on the flickering light in front and the more i concentrated on it the bigger it grew. The light kept increasing eating away at the darkness and till there was none left.

I could faintly see shapes in the light and focused harder, trying make them more defined. The shape grew closer and closer and the light faded out to a normal level. I looked around as the shapes last their blurriness and my gaze was met with trees glowing in the light of a fire. Oranges, reds and yellows flickering repeatedly on the surrounding nature giving them a mystical glow.

My eyes lids felt heavy and i blinked several times. I lifted my head slowly off the mud littered ground and let a groan of pain escape my mouth as a short stabbing pain shot through my throat. My left hand automatically flew to put pressure on the pain, hoping that would ease it but it didn't. I pulled my hand away gently and was surprised to see scarlet liquid covering every inch of skin. I gasp and re-applied my hand to the obviously bleed wound quickly.

My body felt weak and tired, like it was ready to shut down any moment now. Snap. My breath hitched and my eyes widened.

"I know how to cover my tracks, Stefan. Where's my ring?" An all to familiar voice demanded. And that when it clicked. He doesn't age... His face changes to that of a demon... He drinks blood. It all added up and I was terrified with the outcome. Vampire... Stefan and Damon were vampires. Damon just tried to kill me. Oh god. I could feel myself hyperventilating. My breathing picked up speed, my heart beating faster forcing the blood around my veins at my faster pace, I could hear it in my ears. My hands were shaking and I felt helpless. Then a thought struck me.Vicki! Where was Vicki? I ignored what my brain was telling me to do-which was stay put and be quiet- and stood up fast. Too fast. Everything around me started to spin, moving in their own directions. I swayed slightly on my feet as I blinked repeatedly to stop my vision from moving. The swirls of nature slowly stopped and I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

I tilted my head slightly to the right to give my left hand enough room to comfortably apply pressure on the wound and took a testing step forward. I gave myself a small nod when i knew i would fall over and started to walk forwards.

I only took three steps before a gust of wind surrounded me, whipping my hair into my face. I sputtered and some flew into my mouth and pulled it and pushed it away.

"Just get it." Damon's voice snarled from around the other side of the fire. I held my breath and quietly tiptoed closer. I reached the boundaries of the fire and supressed a scream. Laying in front of me were the mangled bodies of my friends, Ruby and Toby. My wound forgotten, both hands clamped over my mouth to muffle my sobs. Tears trailed freely down and over my blood stained cheeks, leaving dark pinks trails. I felt sick to my stomach, bile rising in my throat. I choked it back and my body shook with my sobs. I wanted to say something, I wanted to do something to help them, but they were already gone...They were dead and there was nothing I could do.