chapter sixteen

I woke up to a splitting headache. It felt like someone was chiseling away at my skull repeatedly. I lay there in bed thinking about the events that occurred yesterday but my mind was having trouble bring anything up. My memories felt jumbled, like someone had decided to remove random bits and pieces. Nothing made sense and every time I concentrated on a certain memory a searing pain shot through my skull.

"Knock, knock." muffled a voice came from outside my bedroom door.

"What?"

The door creaked open slightly to show Jeremy leaning against my door frame. He smiled down at me. "You have to get up and dress. We're leaving in 10." He informed.

I groaned, pulling my duvet up over my head. "Do I have to?"

"Yes. They want to know if you know anything."

"But I don't."

"You still have to go." Jeremy stated simply.

I peeled back a corner of my cover and peered out and over at Jeremy. "Rweally?" I asked, jutting out my bottom lip. He just raised his eyebrow and smirked.

"It's not up to me. It's Elena." He replied. "So, I'd get up if I was you."

I frowned slightly before huffing and throwing my covers off of me. "Fine!" I exclaimed waltzing over to my wardrobe.

"You have 10 minutes." was all he said, closing the door behind him.

"Lillie, you can come in now." Sheriff Forbes called over to me. I turned and gave Jeremy a small smile before pushing myself up and following after Liz.

I followed her into her office and closed the door behind me.

"Please take a seat." She instructed.

I hesitantly sat down, as I surveyed the room. I've never liked being in the sheriff's office, and trust me I've been in here enough times.

"So, how are you?" Liz asked politely.

"Erm...I'm good I guess. You?" I replied awkwardly. I looked around the room, making sure that I didn't make any eye contact.

"I'm good, thank you. Now, lets talk about Vicki."

"Okay."

"When did you last see Vicki?"

"The Halloween party, I think." I frowned as I tried to think back to when the last time I really did see her was.

"You think?" She asked sceptically

"Yeah, I actually don't remember much of that night." I responded sheepishly, shrugging slightly.

"Why not?"

"I-erm-I...Hit my head." Liz smiled as she watched my eyes flitted around the room.

"You could just say you were drinking." She stated and my mouth dropped open a tad.

"Huh. I didn't think of just coming out and saying to the sheriff 'Hey, I can't remember much, because I was under-age drinking.'" I replied sarcastically.

"Okay, I get it. So you think you saw Vicki at the Halloween party correct?"

"Yes." Liz quickly wrote something down on her writing pad before looking back up at me.

"Has she had any contact with you over the last few days?"

"I vaguely remember a text message, the night of the Halloween party."

"Really? And what did this text consist of?" She asked as she continued to write what im saying.

"Just that she was going away for a while and not to worry." I answered truthfully, although there was a slight nagging at the back of my mind. Something wasn't right.

"And do you have this text message?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I deleted it."

"Why?

"Because I can delete my text messages if I want to." I responded sharply. I hated being questioned.

"Even though that was evidence?" Liz questioned.

"I didn't know that the text would be needed, okay? And anyway, it's Vicki's life she can do what she wants, when she wants. That's always how she's been anyway. Impulsive." I insisted

"Vicki is underage." Liz stated.

"You point being?"

"She has to live with a legal guardi-"

"Which she doesn't have." I interrupted. "Are we done here?"

I didn't wait for a response and just stood up and walked to the door. "If you hear anything, please inform us immediately." Liz asked from her place behind the desk. I gave small nod and left, closing the door harder than necessary making Elena and Jeremy jump. I chuckled lightly as Jeremy through my a nasty glare. I shrugged.

I plunked myself down in between Jenna and Elena. I leaned back and slide down the plastic chair, stretching my legs out and crossing my arms over my chest.

"You okay?" Jenna asked.

"Peachy." I muttered.

Jenna gently places her hand on my arm and I looked over at her. "It'll be alright." She smiled.

"I know, but I'm still upset that my best friend left me here...Alone." I grumbled, sinking further in my chair.

"You're not alone." Elena spoke up from the other side of me. "You'll always have us."

"Yay for family." I joked, cracking a small grin.