chopter twenty three

I tried to calm down but the dream just felt so real. The terror that i felt in my dream was still there, but was slowly creeping out of me as the person cooed soothing words into my ear and held me tightly as i continued to cry.

My fingers clutched tightly to the back of their shirt, trying to reassure myself that they were real and that they were there for me.

Slowly my sobs started to die down until the tears had started to slide silently down my cheeks. I took in deep breaths to calm down my breathing as i regained control over my emotions.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled into the persons chest. Their arms tightened around me, bring me closer and my fingers clenched around the shirt.

"You have nothing to be sorry about." Stefan's voice spoke quietly as  his cheek pressed against the top of my head.

I froze slightly at Stefan's voice, being caught completely off guard by who was comforting me. I slowly opened my hands and pressed them flat against his back as i pushed myself out of his grip carefully. His arms unwrapped from around me and were placed on my arms so that he could get a better look at me.

His eyes were dark, he looked stressed and extremely worried. His hair was a mess and looked nothing like his usual doo, he had bit and pieces sticking up in random places.

His eyes scanned my face and then slipped down to my neck, where they lingered longer than necessary. Quickly my hand shot up and pressed against my neck as memories of what happened flashed through my mind. My breath caught and tears started to build up again as Damon's face stared at me in my mind. He looked like he wanted to kill me.

Immediately Stefan's hands cupped my face gently, his thumbs rubbing just under my eyes, wiping away any stray tears that fall.

"Shh, don't cry. It's okay." Stefan's voices whispered as his hands caressed my face.

I shook my head from side to side quickly. "No, no it's not. He was going to kill her," I paused briefly before looking away from him. "He was going to kill me." I kept shaking me head and pushed myself out of his grip and quickly walked away from him to the other side of my room.

"It's not going to be okay, Stefan. He's a killer." I stated loudly. I bit my lip and started to pace around the room. Out of the corner of my eye i saw Stefan stand up from my bed and almost hesitantly walk over to me.

"I know. And I'm sorry for what he did to you and Bonnie. I truly am." Stefan said sincerely.

I sighed. "Yeah i know you are, Stefan, but that doesn't make it any better."

"I know it doesn't."

He gave a frustrated huff and turned his back on me. " I never wanted this to happen. I didn't want to put you or Elena in  harms way, or anyone."

I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder soothingly. " I know you didn't, Stefan. You're a good person, nothing Damon's done is your fault. It's him. It's all him. He did this, not you. I'd be dead if it wasn't for you, and I'm greatful."

He stun on his heels and faced me, a frown etched upon his features. "Don't you get it! It is my fault, everywhere i go, he follows. I knew this would happen if i came back, but yet here i am anyways. What does that tell you about me?" His voice faltered towards the end.

I brought my hands up to his face and made him look at me. "It tells me that you are strong, Stefan, you don't give up when things get hard. You follow your heart not matter what. You stay true to yourself and You don't let Damon consequence what you do," I paused making sure that he was taking in every word that i spoke. "You are so much stronger than you believe yourself to be, you are compassionate and anyone would be lucky to have you in their life. I know i am." I gave him a soft smile which he returned as he pulled me into a hug.