Chapter 7

Disclaimer: Naruto isn't mine whoa

Warnings: If you've made it this far you know waddup yo

Third person pov

Arron stilled as Shikamaru talked, but she didn't look at him. He continued. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just a kid, just like you. I'm not sure what you went through, but... it must have been a real drag if you're this upset. I just want to help you. I don't know if I can do anything, but I'll be your friend if you want." 

The girl's mind was a broken jumble, flashes of what had happened to her playing behind her closed eyelids anytime she dared to blink. She was thirsty, and hungry, and she felt so alone. This boy seemed okay, although she was having trouble focusing on him. She was just so terrified. She wasn't sure if she'd ended up back... back there, and if she was being tricked or not. But... But there had been boys her age there. Ones like here that were being held and that were being-

Arron's body began to shake again, uncontrollable shivers raking up and down her body. This boy hadn't tried to touch or get close to her like those other two people. T-Those adults. They probably wanted to hurt her, but this boy didn't seem like he wanted to. His voice wasn't all soft and caring, like he was trying to coax her into a false sense of security. The people who had her had done that before. Tricked her. But this boy talked to her normally, like it was a... a conversation.

When someone, especially a child, goes through a trauma, it is almost natural for them to get an attachment to someone else. Whether it be someone who saved them, or a doctor caring for them. They'd associate a single person with safety, and that's almost what Arron was beginning to do. But she was too scared. Too afraid of what could be. This could all be a lie. This safety and security these people were trying to convince her that she now had could slip through her fingers.

"You don't have to talk or anything like that. I can go get you some water if you want to stay there, though." Shikamaru stood up, eyeing the girl. She flinched at his movement, but he didn't try to mask the action. He simply walked to the kitchen. Everyone was going to be babying her and treating her like an injured dog, so the least he could do was treat her like she was a human being. 

"Has she said anything, Shikamaru?" Shikaku asked as he entered the room. He'd been talking to Yoshino about how to approach the clear issue at hand, but neither had thought of anything. Shikamaru shook his head, pulling a cup from the cabinet and turning on the tap. Shikaku sighed, eyeing the doorway. He kept his ears open in case she ran for the door. They couldn't have someone so weak and at risk for injury running around. Her body was in bad shape, and so was her mentality. He was surprised she'd made it as far as she did. She must have been pretty determined to get away.

Shikamaru carried the cup carefully back into the living room, ignoring the way his parents began to whisper to each other again. They clearly had no idea what they were meant to do with the girl. "Here, I'll just set it right here." Shikamaru set it a few feet away, but close enough so that she could reach out and grab it. "I'll sit back on the couch if you want. Should I call you something? I don't want to give you a name, but I don't know what to call you."

Arron didn't respond, but she did peek up. Her eyes landed on the glass of water, and she tensed. She'd been drugged many times using water. They'd dehydrate her so much that she was desperate, and then suddenly she'd be unconscious after chugging a whole glass of the liquid. She hated that. She'd always hate that.

Shikamaru seemed to realize his mistake when she didn't grab for the water. She was clearly thirsty. "Oh, I think we have some sealed bottles. My bad. I should have thought of that before." He muttered the last part more to himself, and Arron perked up almost immediately. When those people were acting, they didn't do things like that. They didn't go this far to trick her. They didn't mutter to themselves things she knew she wasn't supposed to hear. Maybe this boy was telling the truth. Was that too much to hope? She was just so lonely and scared. Maybe she was getting too desperate for an ally...

Shikamaru scurried past his parents, who were having a hushed yet heated conversation, throwing open the fridge. His eyes scanned the organized space, and he was glad to see that they did indeed have a package of water. Six bottles, still encased in plastic. He thought about cutting it open and taking one out, but ended up grabbing the whole case instead. This would be better. It would be good if she could watch him open it.

He carried it past his parents and back into the living room, where he sat down a good ways away from her. He watched her head raise slightly, one of her eyes staring at him from through her messy, knotted hair. He set the package of water in front of him, offering a smile. He didn't really know what to do about this girl... he hoped he wasn't freaking her out more.

"This hasn't been opened at all. This can be your case of water. I'll get you a new one for when it's out, if you want. That way you wont have to drink out of cups." Shikamaru turned the case around slowly, flipping it upside down and showing her the top. Arron watched carefully as he did this, her eyes searching for any cuts in the plastic. She didn't see any, and she was pretty parched.

"Alright, I'm gonna open it now." Shikamaru grabbed the plastic and pulled, his teeth clenching as he struggled to rip apart the thick plastic. Arron watched, her head rising ever so slightly as he finally made a big enough hole to get the water out. He seemed proud of himself, pulling one of the bottles out slowly. He held it up for her to see.

"Look, the lid is still sealed. The tab is still on it. And when I squeeze it, no water comes out, so there's no holes." Shikamaru turned the clear bottle around and around a few times, squeezing it in different places. He showed her the top and the bottom. "I'm going to open it for you and then put it there in front of you so you can drink it. You need water or you'll pass out again, and we'll have to take you to see a doctor."

Arron didn't respond, watching cautiously as he popped open the tab and slowly undid with one hand. "Don't drink it too fast or you might throw it up." Shikamaru advised once he was done. He removed the lid slowly, quickly moving to set the water in front of her. He didn't want her to think that he'd put anything in the bottle.

The Nara watched her eye the water for a moment before one of her arms uncurled itself from around her legs. She reached shakily for the water. Shikamaru decided he should talk more instead of just staring blatantly at her. "You know, those clothes you're wearing are actually mine." He laughed a little, watching as she sniffed the water. She risked a glance at him. "It's okay though, you can keep them. They're really comfy, but if you don't like them you can tell me and I can try to get you some other ones. I get it if you don't like wearing guys clothes."

Arron looked down at herself. These were his clothes, and he wasn't mad about her wearing them? She looked to the water again. The drugs the people used on her, shamelessly, weren't scentless. They used the cheap stuff on people like here that were already in captivity. This water smelled fresh, and she'd watched him open not only the sealed bottle, but the package it came in too.

She brought the bottle up to her cracked lips, taking a small sip. It was like heaven going down her throat, the coldness seeming to wash away the constant stinging and raw feeling. She closed her eyes for a moment, savoring it before taking another sip. Shikamaru smiled slightly. This was good! She was drinking water, and she wasn't even crying anymore. 

"Do you need anything else? We have some bread, but the package is open." Shikamaru wanted to give her something that was easy and light on the stomach. He didn't think she'd trust anything cooked that they tried to feed her. He didn't blame her. She must've been through hell.

"Arron." She muttered, her voice weak. Shikamaru blinked.

"Huh?" He asked dumbly. She looked at him, her eyed meeting his. Her eyes were pretty. They were dark brown, almost black, with blue swirling in them. He was sure the ocean color was moving, curling around her pupils like smoke. 

"Arron." She muttered again, looking down. She took a shaky sip of her water, thankfulness bubbling up into her chest. She wanted to cry. She was still terrified, her body shaking and her mind still reeling. But this boy gave her water, and she didn't feel dizzy and numb yet. That... That had to be good. They'd never given her good water when they tricked her.

"Arron." Shikamaru repeated, smiling a small smile. "That's a pretty name."