Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Maxon."

I wondered what America was doing. Probably sleeping, that lucky girl. I was stuck here listening to Father drone on and on and on and on...

"Maxon, are you even listening?"

My head started to droop forwards, my eyelids closing slowly. I was so tired.

"Maxon!"

I jumped in my seat and cleared my throat. "Yeah, I'm awake. I'm good."

Father frowned. "Obviously you don't care about how safe your own wedding is," he scolded.

Sitting up straighter, I replied. "Of course I care. But it's," I glanced at my watch, "almost two in the morning. I need my sleep. Can't we do this in the morning? We still have a few days to make sure everything is okay."

He shook his head at me, sighing. "Fine, fine. Go get some rest."

I offered him a smile, but he just glared at me. I sped out of there, away from the charts and reports that Father had shoved in front of me earlier that night. We'd been trying to figure out how many guards were necessary to ensure it wouldn't be like my last attempt at a wedding. Personally, I didn't think the rebels would try to do something this time. They knew we would be prepared and would be extra cautious. Father, on the other hand, seemed as if he wanted the whole Illéan army to be around the church.

I walked through the maze of hallways that I'd been able to navigate with ease from my earliest years. I was so deep in thought I didn't even realize I was passing America's room until I heard the sound of her violin. It sounded like an intricate melody, but knowing her talent, she probably thought it was simple. The sound of her music was so soothing that I sat on the ground and listened to her play. The lassitude settled in again and my head went forward to rest on my knees.

My eyes had just closed when I was promptly awoken by a loud screech followed by a string of whispered profanities. I was about to get up and go in, but the playing started up again and I didn't want to mess her up.

After what I thought was a few measures, the sounds faded off. At first, I thought maybe she was just taking a break, but then I remembered how late it was. She was probably tired beyond imagination. America shouldn't be up so late when it was this close to the wedding! She needed her rest just like every other human being! I knew that she was performing at the reception, but I was confident in her ability. No one needed that much practice!

Since she'd stopped, I'd hoped she'd gone to sleep like she needed. Still, I knocked softly on her door. I went in without waiting for her to answer.

America stood at the foot of her bed, violin in hand. There were bags under her eyes and she seemed like she could barely keep herself on her feet.

"America!" I exclaimed. "It's two in the morning! Why are you still up?"

"Why are you?" she shot back, her words seeming to run into one another. I couldn't keep the smirk off my face. Even when she was exhausted she made a good point.

"Touché. I was talking with my father and we lost track of time. Now answer my question."

America sighed, her shoulders slumping. "I can't get this song and the wedding is so close. I have to learn it."

I shook my head at her idle worries. It must've been wedding jitters making her so distressed.

I made my way over to her. I put my hand on her shoulder and gently sat her down on the bed. America didn't even put up a fight as I knelt down on the bed behind her. I began to massage her neck, feeling her taut muscles beneath my fingers. Her whole body seemed to relax at my touch. She leaned into my hands.

I could sense she was on the edge of sleep when America realized what I was doing. She tried to remove herself from my grasp, but I held her there, which wasn't hard while she was so weak. I continued to massage her neck and shoulders as I leaned in and whispered into her ear, "Shh, America. Just go to sleep, love."

"I need to practice," she protested. America brought the violin back into position but I pulled it and the bow out of her grip with ease. I noticed the open case on the floor and tucked the instrument back into it. She tried to reach over me and to the case, but I laid her down on the bed and settled in next to her. I ran a hand through her hair, letting it slip over my skin. I knew how that affected her and almost immediately, she let herself sink into the bed.

"You're going to be in so much trouble when I wake up," America grumbled to me. You could just hear the tiredness in her voice.

"Oh, am I now?"

"Yes."

She turned to face me and snuggled up closer, slipping her hands around my waist, pressing herself up against me. America rested her head on my chest, right over my heart. I wondered if she could hear it beating, saying I love you with every beat.

.

.

.

It was tomorrow. My wedding was tomorrow. The next chapter of my life started tomorrow. And I'd never been more nervous.

America and I sat at a conference table. Across from us was Markson, a guard who was one of the best we'd ever had, and Gabriel. I'd skipped out on my session with Father to resume our security conversation and now he was forcing me to do it with them instead. I guess he had "kingly duties" to attend to or something.

We stared at the mind-numbing maps and charts for hours. My head was pounding and I could just barely concentrate. America, though, was deep in conversation with them. I didn't know how she could even focus. All I could think of was how to make sure I didn't trip over my own feet and fall on my face in front of everyone tomorrow.

Every now and then, America would kick me under the table when she saw how little I was paying attention. I wasn't sure Markson noticed, but Gabriel definitely had, judging by the smirk on his face that he was trying to hide. It wasn't that I didn't care about this because I did. I just had other things on my mind. I tried to jump into the conversation sometimes but I don't think I said anything even remotely helpful.

When I finally tuned in completely, it was too late. Everyone stood up and shook hands. "Don't worry," Gabriel was saying. "Everything will be in order and your wedding will go uninterrupted."

"Thank you," America said, smiling.

The two guards left us alone in the conference room. As soon as the door shut, America scowled and smacked me hard on the arm. "Do you even care about this at all? Do you want the rebels to ruin it again?"

"No, of course not," I said. I pulled her closer but she had her arms crossed over her chest. "I was just distracted."

"Oh really? By what?" she huffed.

I leaned in close and whispered softly into her ear, "The thought of seeing you in your dress. It made it hard to concentrate on much else."

America pulled back and raised her eyebrow at me. "You really think you're charming, don't you?"

I tilted my head, as if I was truly thinking about it. "Yes," I drawled. "I like to think so."

"Shut up," she said, though her eyes twinkled with mischief. America turned away and left. I followed her like a lost puppy and found that it didn't bother me one bit, as long as it was her I was chasing after.