Chapter 8

This is for Destinychanger who was wishing for this to update today, and then it did, so it's gonna update again bc we're proving that she's psychic

Disclaimer: Guess, guess

Warnings: Well you see-

Third person pov

Shikamaru carried to cup of water back into the kitchen triumphantly. The conversation his parents seemed to have been having had calmed down quite a bit, and both of them looked tired. The boy turned to them once he'd finished dumping the liquid in the sink, grinning a lazy grin.

"Her name is Arron." His announcement made their heads snap up. "She drank like, half a bottle of water or so."

"Good work, Shikamaru!" Shikaku lit up, hopping to his feet. Yoshino smiled at her son as Shikaku hugged him, patting his head and ruffling his ponytail as he pulled away. Shikamaru's face dropped with distaste at the action, and he shoved his father's hand away. The man simply chuckled. 

"Your father is going to go tell the Hokage that she's woken up. We'll decide what to do from there." Yoshino said softly. Shikamaru nodded, wondering if they were going to take Arron away. If they did, he hoped she'd get all the help she needed. He also hoped he'd still get to see her. He knew that now that he'd met her, he was just going to worry about her, even if he didn't know her. It was hard not to worry about someone so broken and scared. 

Shikaku walked through the living room, and Arron immediately curled back up, the bottle in her hand clattering to the ground as she began to shake again. Shikaku hesitated in his steps, but didn't stop. He knew he terrified the poor girl. Most of her tormentors were probably men, and the scars on his face didn't help his case with the girl. He was just glad Shikamaru had gotten her to drink something. 

Shikamaru walked back into the room. Yoshino peeked in at them, but didn't enter the room. The girl seemed afraid of all sorts of adults, no matter their gender. It made Yoshino sad. This whole thing was absolutely heartbreaking. She'd always known there were people like that out there, but now things seemed so much realer. The walls around Konoha had never made her feel more secure. She'd never felt so grateful for them. 

"It's okay, Arron. That's my dad. He won't hurt you, but I can tell him that you're uncomfortable around him if you want." Shikamaru sat back in his place on the floor, his hands in his lap. The water she'd dropped hadn't spilled. She'd drank to much of it for any of it to come out, and that made Shikamaru smile a little. Even though she was scared, at least she'd been regaining some fluids. Maybe she'd start to feel a little better physically.

Arron peeked up at him, brushing some hair from her pale face. She looked down at the water, shakily reaching out for it. He watched her set it upright, her eyes filling with tears. Her hands shook, and he didn't think it was because she was scared. She was skin and bones. Her body wasn't strong like it had probably once been, and that was probably one of the worst things the girl had to deal with. He... He hoped that was the worst thing.

"Do you want some food?" Shikamaru's question made her look at him. She stared, bringing her knees up closer to her chest. Her eyes darted around, but she didn't answer. Shikamaru noted how cautious she seemed of everything. Her terrified eyes darted around like every object was a threat, living or not. He had a few ideas as to what could have happened, but he didn't want to think about them, and he certainly wouldn't ask.

"I can go get bread. If you want, I can get a few slices and you can pick a few for me to eat so you can tell that there's nothing wrong with them." Shikamaru offered, watching as Arron's eyes flickered to him again. She considered it. They'd poisoned and drugged her food before, but never bread. Bread was a standard meal. It was usually cooked things like soup, stew and gruel that held the real dangers.

Still, she didn't reply, but she loosened the grip she had on her legs, raising her head more. Shikamaru awkwardly waved to her, and she flinched slightly. He cursed himself mentally. He just... he wasn't sure how to deal with traumatized people. Sure, there were some things he was able to figure out by himself, but he was no professional.

He was surprised when Arron uncurled herself more, her arms dropping to her sides and legs slowly moving. From the way her face twisted, moving hurt. He didn't interrupt her though, or talk. He felt it would startle her back into her little ball that she'd been in almost an hour now. Even now she looked absolutely terrified, her body shaking from fear and fatigue.

She eventually came to sit on her knees, her hands on her lap and her eyes faced down. This was progress. Kind of. He supposed that maybe she was beginning to trust her or something like that. That, or she was planning to escape. He wouldn't blame her. She didn't know them, or anyone for that matter.

"I'll go get some bread in a second, but first I'll tell you a bit about myself so that you know me better." That was a good idea, right? "Well, I already told you that my name was Shikamaru Nara, so you know that. I'm twelve years old, and I like to play shogi and take naps. I think going to the ninja academy is troublesome and a real drag, but my mom says I have to go anyway." He shrugged. Arron focused on the words coming from his mouth, trying to calm herself down. She was okay now, right? Shikamaru was nice. He wouldn't let anyone take her away. He... He gave her a water bottle... h... he wasn't trying to do anything to her. Like touch her, or make her talk, or ask her lots of personal questions... He was her age, too. 

"You don't have to tell me about you, but if you're allergic to anything in bread, can you nod or something? I don't want you to have a reaction and then have to go to the hospital." Shikamaru scratched the back of his neck as he stood up. Arron stared at him, and he took that as a go ahead. Arron frowned when he left, her eyes searching the room to make sure nobody else was there. Surely Shikamaru cared. He was nice and considerate enough to ask about her allergies. Nobody there ever did that when she was back there. He was okay. He had to be okay. 

Someone had to be okay.