Chapter 9

Apparently me updating this twice made this the best day of caity-devil788's life so we'll update it three times and then see how she feels. (Also, radical instagram posts. Your makeup blood shit is rad dude like bruh)

Disclaimer: Naruto isn't mine surprise-

Warnings: Um... why do I still put this-

Third person pov

Shikamaru tore the piece of bread in half, moving to hand it to her. The girl flinched away, her eyes widening in horror as his hand approached. He froze completely, recoiling. "S...Sorry. I forgot for a second there." He recovered quickly, softly setting the half piece of bread down. He bit into the other, chewing quickly and swallowing to show that it wasn't poisoned. 

Arron steadied her breathing, which had sped up when Shikamaru reached towards her. But he'd apologized, and he'd stopped. And he'd tore the bread in half, and he'd eaten his half. He wasn't passing out or anything. And he hadn't tried to trick her. He was nice. Shikamaru... was good. He was nice. It was okay now. He was okay. S-She didn't have to interact with anyone else if she didn't want to. He said he'd talk to his dad. Nobody mean would offer to do that, right?

She took her half of the bread from the carpet that spanned a large portion of the floor, bringing it up to her mouth and nibbling on it. She found herself surprised when she realized it wasn't stale, and instead soft and fresh. She hadn't had much of anything that was fresh for a long time now, she'd almost forgotten what it tasted like. Nobody mean would give her fresh bread, right? Shikamaru was just trying to help. That's all. 

Someone had to be good.

"I can tear another piece if you want, but I get if you want to start small. I would want to as well." Shikamaru shrugged. Yoshino peeked out from the kitchen briefly. The girl seemed to be reasonably alright, although she didn't miss the way her eyes darted back and forth, and the panic and fear that seemed consistent in her eyes. Yoshino couldn't look too long. Arron's eyes were constantly scanning the room, looking for anything that could harm her. She'd been here, safe, for over an hour now, but she was still on edge.

Shikamaru and Arron ate bread in silence. The girl would finish a half, and Shikamaru would split a new one. He really wasn't hungry, but he didn't want her to think a slice was poisoned or something, so he'd eat his half readily. It was no big deal. His mom would probably let him skip out on dinner tonight if he explained. 

The kept eating like that until Arron was done, Shikamaru not speaking, and Arron keeping her movement to a minimum. She really only moved when Shikamaru did, but she'd stopped leaning away from his hand when he reached out to set the bread down after the last two halves. She liked that he didn't do anything different throughout the six half slices she'd been given. He'd finish his half, wait for her to finish hers, take out a new piece and tear it in half, set her half down in the exact same spot and then go to eat his. It was nice. Shikamaru was nice.

"Do you want a blanket or something? It's sort of cold down here." Shikamaru realized, looking to Arron. The girl flinched slightly, moving some of her hair out of the way. He pursed his lips. "Maybe a brush if you want, and a hairband. I promise I won't touch you. You can do it yourself. The hair just seems to be annoying you." Shikamaru shrugged nonchalantly, giving her a sidelong glance.

Arron didn't respond at first, but eventually shook her head. If Shikamaru left, then she'd be alone, and that woman could come out. What would she do then? She wasn't strong enough to run, even with water and food in her body. She was so malnourished and still so dehydrated. There's no way she'd make it.

"Ah, well you can have this hair tie at least, if you want it." He took one off his wrist. His were prone to break, so he tried to have some handy. He could definitely spare one. He had loads lying around, and so did his parents. "I have loads more, but it's also alright if you don't want it."

Arron hesitantly took it from the place Shikamaru had set it, staring at it and moving it around in her hand carefully. He watched her cautiously as she shakily moved, gathering her hair into a bundle. He tried not to stare at her scratched up arms, and had to look away when she moved her hair fully from her face. Her face that was covered in bruises that had previously been shadowed, and there were a few cuts too.

Arron struggled to pull her hair into a ponytail, but she managed a loose, sloppy one. Her stomach twisted, and she swallowed heavily, her eyes burning. For some reason, she felt like crying again. She knew she was s...safe, but she was scared. Terrified, really. She wanted to run and never stop, but she also didn't want to move. She felt so powerless. Everything was out of control. She could do nothing here.

The front door creaked open, and that was all it took for Arron to pull herself back into her ball and begin to cry once more.