Chapter 10

According to Mystiotakutrash I'm up sort of late but wait it's not that late, so I'm updating again bc ooo ooo I'm a rebel just for kicks

Disclaimer: Naruto isn't mine ahhh

Warnings: The usual I guess

Also, instead of Shikaku I kept typing Shukaku for some reason so if you see that, I'm sorry XD

Third person pov

"Dad, you scared her." Shikamaru sounded slightly panicked, standing up. Shikaku sighed, looking tired as he entered. The Hokage entered close behind much to Shikamaru's surprise, along with Inoichi Yamanaka. The young boy bowed hurriedly, his worried eyes turning to Arron who was shaking again. It had taken him forever to get her not to sit like that and not to cry, and now he didn't know what to do.

"This is the girl you found?" The Hokage asked. Shikaku nodded, and Inoichi stepped forward. He was an expert when it came to anything mental. The Yamanaka clan were experts on anything and everything relating to the mind, and according to Shikaku this girl was suffering some pretty heavy mental trauma. She'd gone through something nobody so young should have to go through.

"Your name is Arron, right?" Inoichi crouched down, keeping his voice soft. "You're okay now. Do you think you can come with me? We're going to take you some place where you can get better and-"

The girl let out a shrieking sob, backing away from him hurriedly in a panic. Inoichi unintentionally moved forward, but quickly realized his mistake as the girl became more panicked, her breathing picking up. Shikamaru's heart rate picked up, and he turned to his father and the Third Hokage, who looked at a loss. They looked sad, and worried, but not panicked like Shikamaru was.

"Hey, stop that!" The young Nara told Inoichi. "She's scared of adults. You shouldn't do that if you don't want her to freak out."

Inoichi stood up straight, scratching his head. There was a clear issue here. The adults needed to take the girl to a mental facility where she could be helped, and so that a proper investigation could take place, but she was afraid of adults. "She doesn't like being touched, either." Shikamaru informed, scratching the back of his neck. He glanced at Arron, who was hyperventilating.

"Hokage-sama?" Inoichi turned to the Hokage, who pursed his lips with thought. Arron didn't like him. He smelled like smoke. The men there had smelled like smoke too, and she didn't like it. He... He wanted to take her away. All these people did. She'd been right. But Shikamaru didn't want her to go away. He told them to stop. She was right, he was good. She could trust him.

"We need to take her in, but I don't see her coming with us herself. Maybe we should just... get it over with..." The Hokage cringed. The words sounded just as bad as they did in his head, if not worse. Inoichi nodded seriously, turning to the girl. Shikamaru's eyes widened in surprise as Inoichi slowly walked towards the girl, trying to smile a warm smile.

"It's okay. Just come with me and you'll be okay." Inoichi soothed.

"It's okay." The bearded man spoke, drunkenly stumbling forward. His tone was soothing, but his smile was anything but. "Just come with me and you'll be okay."

Arron's eyes widened. That's exactly what they'd said. T-This man would just take her back! Surely she'd be killed if they brought her back, or she'd wish she was dead. She couldn't go back there. She just couldn't. She'd barely made it out. She couldn't... no... no... no... she couldn't do it.

Inoichi reached for her, and she let out a scream of fear, rolling out of the way. Yoshino watched from the kitchen door in horror as the terrified girl scrambled away from Inoichi, her cheeks covered in tears and her wide, red rimmed eyes full of fear. She reached for Shikamaru, who jumped in surprise as she positioned herself behind him, pressing herself up against him as much as she could as though he would hide her. He could feel her shaking.

"Arron." Shikaku sighed, his eyes sad. Inoichi looked grim and upset as he approached Shikamaru, who shook his head slowly. They couldn't keep doing this! Didn't they see how scared she was? She was scared enough to touch someone, something she was too afraid to do. They'd scared her into it though.

"You can't keep doing this? Can't you wait or something. She's too scared." Shikamaru scratched the back of his neck, putting all his weight on one leg. Arron scooted left as his body leaned, her face buried in his upper back. She was like a baby raccoon. If she couldn't see it, it wasn't there. It was too soon for them to be forcibly dragging her off, whether it would help her in the long run or not. She seemed to have enough traumatizing events under her belt as it was.

"He's right, dear. Look at her." Yoshino sounded near tears. "Can't she stay with us for a while longer? We can bring in a doctor tomorrow, and you know we have the space. Inoichi can make house calls. I'll pay for it. I'll start working again if I have to."

"No, it's alright, Yoshino." Shikaku sighed. Inoichi nodded, and so did the Hokage.

"The girl is scared. We shouldn't have tried to force this on her." The Hokage's voice was heavy with regret, and Inoichi nodded too. It had been a horrible plan in hindsight. They'd have to work around what the girl was comfortable with, which wasn't much, but she seemed alright with Shikamaru and she hadn't tried to leave this house. From the looks of it, she'd even been eating bread.

Shikaku walked with the three men out, and Arron immediately fell to her knees, her face buried in her hands as she sobbed. And all Shikamaru and Yoshino could do was stare.