seven.

Present. September 9th, 2018.

Somehow when the phone on my counter buzzed two consistent times, I had a feeling that it was him. Call it a hunch, call it weird psychic tendencies, but when I looked to see who it was, I was right.

Carson has been sneaking his way into my days ever since he found my name and number. It should annoy me, get under my skin as everything else does. It doesn't though, and I'm not sure why just yet.

Carson

You know, it's actually rude to ignore people who just want to be your friend.

I'm not going anywhere so answer your phone!!!!

Carson's love for exclamation points didn't go over my head. I actually thought it was kind of funny. I think maybe he has a reason for the excessive amounts; perhaps I'll get the nerve to ask him.

Lena

Is there a reason you're still blowing up my phone, Carl?

I laugh at my text, not sure what about it brought a laugh out of me. It didn't take very long for Carson to respond. This surprised me. An attractive new boy like Carson should already be the schools top interest, so why is he talking to me?

Carson

Just as I said, Bright Eyes, I want to be your friend!

The usage of another dull exclamation point brings a strange smile to my lips, and I plop another pillow under my head for support.

Lena

Don't you have anyone else to befriend? Like, I don't know, a guy?

Also, really not enjoying the use of that nickname.

Carson

Why would I want to talk to brain-dead teenage boys when I can talk to you?

Also, I don't really care. It's sticking Bright Eyes.

This caused a whole new set of emotions to light up in my head. My smile faltered for a second before getting even more vibrant. This is a bad sign, but I chose to ignore it for now and let this moment take its course.

Lena

How do you know I'm not just a brain-dead teenage girl?

His reply scared me for some reason. That reason goes unknown for now. I think I fear him saying that he doesn't believe that I'm a brain-dead teenage girl. I'm afraid that he'll say I am. I'm scared of everything when it comes to talking to new people. He's the only person in Freeport High that doesn't consider me a total freak show, and I don't know how long that is going to last. I need to enjoy it while I can.

Carson

Then why can't I be your brain-dead teenage friend?

Lena

Interesting question, you're gonna have to give me the night to think about that though.

I don't know how, why, or when I became quicker on my witty responses or where I got all my sudden boost in sass from, but I know Carson has something to do with it.

Carson

If you must!!

Goodnight, Lena!!

God, he really needs to chill with the damn exclamation points.

Lena

Goodnight, Waterfront Boy.