Sixteen: Past

[Name] arrived at home. She took out the keys and opened the door to the small, yet comfortable flat located on the first floor. She's been living alone since the start of the school year. Her parents moved to Tokyo to help her grandmother with daily life. They let the girl choose whether she prefered to go with them or stay in Miyagi. [Name] appreciated the peaceful atmosphere of the countryside and so she decided to stay there. Her old house was sold, and instead she moved to the small flat in a convenient location near the train station.

The girl took off her shoes and lumbered to her room, her thoughts still circling around this evening's events. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop thinking about Oikawa's kiss. It wasn't something she was experiencing everyday, after all.

[Name] looked around her small, simple room, wondering what she should do. She didn't have any homework to do this day, so she finally had some time for herself. Normally, she would probably lay down on her bed and watch a movie or some other series, but today she was sure that she wouldn't be able to focus on anything. She needed to do something in order to keep her mind away from the thoughts about Oikawa.

She moved her eyes from the bed to the stillage, when finally, something caught her attention. It was a rather big box standing on the bottom shelf.

Her memory box.

She hasn't opened it for years, so she nearly forgot what was hidden inside it. Hesitantly, the girl walked up to it and kneeled in front of it. Slowly, she lifted the box's lid, revealing a heap of papers and some other souvenirs. She smiled, and, one by one, she started taking everything out. Each letter, each diploma had its own history. [Name] was sometimes even surprised how much memories she kept in there. Some of them she managed to forget already. Who knew she took part in a physics contest? She hated physics.

Half of the box was already emptied when [Name]'s hand suddenly stopped moving.

She felt the cold wave overflow her as her eyes locked on a small photo she was currently holding. Her breath turned into shallow gasps.

Why was it there?

She was sure she got rid of everything back then.

So why did she have to see this face once again?

The sweet, lying voice came back.

Always, [Name] heard it whispering behind her back. She let go of the photo, which fell down on the floor by her feet.

The darkness was just about to surround her once again when a loud sound of [Name]'s phone woke her up from the reverie.

Mechanically, she accepted the call.

"[Name]-chan, I'm so happy you answered!", Oikawa's relieved voice clashed through the microphone.

"Oh, Oikawa-san", [Name] replied blankly. She already forgot about the evening practice and the fact that Oikawa kissed her. Her mind was still in the world of the past.

"Are you okay? You sound strange", the boy asked, worried.

"Yes, everything...", her voice suddenly broke. She felt her throat clench and the words stuck in it. "Everything is fine", she cough up with audible effort. She wasn't crying. But something inside her just seemed to break.

"[Name], I hear you're not fine", Oikawa's voice got even more nervous. Was [Name] angry at him for what he did?

"Fine", [Name] repeated to herself quietly as if she was wondering what's the meaning of this word.

Yeah, she didn't feel fine at all.

"[Name]-", Oikawa wanted to say something but the sound of the call ending cut him off.