Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

It had been a month since Jonathan had recovered. Though his back still ached, the pain had dulled and he was no longer incapable of moving about regularly. Charlotte had stuck by him like a bee to it's honey, accompanying him almost everywhere and anywhere she could. He saw her smile more, laugh more with her cheerful bell like giggle and of course, kiss more as well. While she was gone, he spent hours thinking of a proper proposal, a worthy one that would make their situation an official engagement.

"Where are we going today?" Charlotte eyed suspiciously. Jonathan hadn't been keen on the idea of leaving the premise at all. But today he seemed determined to leave.

"A surprise, you'll see." He said mischievously.

"Interesting, I hope it's impressive," she murmured with a smile.

The carriage pulled off in another direction until it stopped at an empty lawn. There were hundreds of flowers covering the area and she caught her breath at the scenery. The sun was just about to sink below the horizon and the hues of yellows, purples and pinks bursted through the sky.

"It's beautiful," she soaked in everything before her.

"Come along." He offered her his hand as she gingerly exited the carriage. He led her to an area where the light shone the brightest.

"Remember when you asked me how I knew about you?" Jonathan remarked.

"Yes..."

"We've met here before. I don't know if you remember. But you were sulking under this very tree."

"Sulking? Perhaps. I don't quite remember. It's all a blur in my memory. Though this tree does look familiar." Charlotte examined it before bringing her attention back to Jonathan. "I remember I met a boy here."

"You met me here," he said with a chuckle. "And you insulted me and called me ugly."

"I did. I remember I did. Oh Jonathan, I didn't mean to insult you. I was sullen that day because my father told me only beautiful things mattered in the world. And I thought that I wasn't beautiful enough so he discarded me as a useless thing. I apologize if that had hurt you deeply," Charlotte said bashfully.

"Well it was here that I thought you were absolutely beautiful. I knew I wanted you as mine." He confessed.

Charlotte blushed. "I am yours am I not?"

Jonathan took her by the hand, "you are almost."

"Almost?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

And then the man proceeded to go down on a knee, retrieving the velvet box from his jacket as he watched Charlotte gasp, her eyes watering immediately as she realized what he was doing. "Even if I'm a wretched irritable old man who'll challenge you at everything you do or when I'm an annoying bastard who'll shamelessly flaunt you - I'm absolutely adore you. Dearest, Lady Charlotte, I'm smitten with you completely. Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Words were stuck in her throat as she merely nodded her head up and down, resulting in a smile from Jonathan. He slid the ring onto her finger, the gem glowing in the light. She flung her arms around him joyously as he gripped her by the waist. "Yes I'll do you every honor of being your wife and loving you to death!"

"You won't run off even when you're angry at me?" Jonathan teased.

"You'll hear my mind every time, even when you don't want to." Charlotte murmured.

"Always" He chuckled.

His lips met hers as they entwined into each other, the sound of nature quietly cooing as the two were engulfed in their love. 

A/N: Sorry this was so short but fear not! There's an epilogue to come but sorry for delay! I've been hammered with so much work (school has started ew) along with figuring out the details for the next story which is going to be quite entertaining (at least I think so!) Anyways, feel free to vote, comment and etc. If I can get say, at least, 25 comments with detailed thoughts of your opinion maybe I'll drop the ending a little sooner ;)