Chapter 69

Saphira's POV:

I was still livid and my darker skin proved it. The other guards were also agitated as they scoured the area ahead of the group for trouble. Assassins wanted to kill the singer just to silence her mate.

Assassins that even we had a hard time spotting. That Valrid had gotten surprisingly close to Serena before I spotted him. I had watched closely just in case he was only curious about the human, but the second he started to unsheathe his blade, I had launched a preemptive strike.

Serena and Darien had previously spoken at length about the Council and their underhanded schemes, so it was clear that they were either trying to hide their actions or ensure Darien couldn't come back for revenge. Darien was nearly impossible to take down with his abilities, so they were targeting his only weakness. Serena.

If she died, he would not survive long. Their bond was too strong despite being barely a month old. Those hunting Darien were also apparently aware of this. This Council would kill two innocents just to hide their dark deeds. It was despicable.

I silently crossed over to the next tree before glancing down at the carts below. The first cart carried Alex and Fiona, while the second cart held Darien, Serena and that careless brother of Darien's.

Darien undoubtedly knew exactly where I was. His hearing was keen enough to pick up the soft sound of my nails biting into the bark, if he couldn't actually hear my breathing. At first, I had not originally realized that when he left Serena with his brother, he had been counting on me to be the actual guard.

Rationally, I knew that Lucas and Alex had no idea that Serena was a singer, but Lucas was certainly in sore need of actual training if he was ever going to attempt to guard anything. Alex was a different story, and he seemed to know what he was doing in that regard. At least from what I had seen through the window from the trees below as he kept others away from his mate before Serena healed her.

Serena's odd hat kept the passing Tarulk from realizing she was human, which made things easier. Neither Fiona nor Lucas seemed to be bothered with Serena being human. I still planned to keep an eye on both of them though.

I continued to keep close while maintaining a vigil in case any other unwelcome company appeared, but so far the trip had been uneventful.

I sat in the tree above and watched them set up camp. This campsite also had a fence and the two feathery reptiles were playfully wrestling with each other on the far side of the grassy area. Their endless energy was interesting, if only they weren't so feather-brained.

It didn't take the group long to have the tents set up and the fire made. I was a bit irritated by the newcomers, since their presence interfered with how much time I got to spend with Serena. I enjoyed spending time with her, and these two Tarulk still had no idea that the Dranek were not, and never had been, interested in killing them. I had to keep out of sight, and away from Serena, due to their ignorance.

Eventually, they all sat around the fire as they waited for the food to cook. Alex asked Darien, "So, what are your plans? I have a feeling that you intend to go to the Council Building and get to the bottom of this once and for all."

I waited for Darien's response, if he took Serena, she would be their main target. They still could not remain apart for more than a day or so, so she couldn't remain in a more secure distant area. This meant that the Dranek were likely in his plans.

Darien nodded, "Yes, I have some ideas and have thought of some safeguards." He looked straight up at me, "Saphira, could you please join us?"

That was not what I had expected, but I dropped through the branches to land not far from him. Fiona leaned against Alex in sudden fear. Alex tensed up as the bond caused him to react, but otherwise, he remained calm, knowing I would not attack unprovoked.

Lucas was so startled that he fell backwards off his log, before scrambling to his feet with his sword in his hand, "Shit! Darien! It's a Dranek!"

Darien snorted, "And you are an idiot. Sit down."

His brother gaped at him in complete shock at his lack of concern. Darien raised his eyebrow, "Use your head. I know it took a serious blow a few weeks ago, but it shouldn't have addled your wits that much. She stopped the Valrid."

Lucas's jaw dropped and he looked between the unconcerned Darien and myself before flopping down on the log with a bewildered expression, "I am so confused..."

I dismissed the clueless younger brother from my mind as I spoke to Darien, "I assume you want us to guard Serena while you go into this building?"

He nodded seriously, "Yes, I don't dare take her inside, or even close by, and I know you can hide her quite well."

I wasn't sure where this Council Building was, just that it was by the ocean. Darien's intention to challenge the Council was not the question, since they were trying to harm a singer. We just had to work out a suitable plan. "Is there a waygate nearby? They will likely be expecting you to show up."

"There is no waygate anywhere close. It will be just as fast to continue from here. I bet they are waiting with bated breath for my arrival, and dreading it with every second. The fools also likely expect me to walk through the main entrance."

Serena was on his lap and looking up at him in concern, obviously worried about her mate walking into an ambush or trap. He gazed down at her as his eyes softened, "Relax, my heart. They underestimate me and I will always come for you."

Lucas seemed stunned by his brother's soft and caring words. He hadn't seen his brother for thirty years and had likely assumed from Darien's earlier behavior that he was the same short-tempered person he always had been. One thing had changed though, he had found his heart, although only Serena saw the true soft side of his thorny exterior.

I commented, "They may underestimate you, but if they are worried, they will likely go overboard. Do not assume that your plan will go so easily."

Such assumptions were a child's error or overconfidence, and I suspected the latter case in this scenario. Darien had not had a real challenge since the bond increased his abilities, and he had become accustomed to such an extreme advantage.

Darien made a face as he accepted that, it didn't go down well, but he was listening. Alex inquired, "Do you plan to go in alone, or can the rest of us help in some fashion?"

"That is what I want to discuss. It will be quicker and there is less chance of you getting injured if I go alone."

"There are also no other witnesses to claim what happened if someone accuses you unfairly," Alex replied.

Fiona kept looking between Darien and myself in confusion before finally asking, "Why would the Dranek help us?"

I swished my tail while blandly replying, "We have our reasons."

She took the subtle hint and didn't inquire further. Discussion moved onto the pros and cons of various approaches. One thing was certain though, the second they saw Darien without Serena, they would be checking the immediate area for her.

Darien looked straight at me, "You will have to hide her very well."

I responded calmly, "Even if they managed to spot us, which is very unlikely, they would have to catch us. That task is not easy if they have to try and climb trees while dodging arrows."

He gazed at me before dropping the subject, accepting the truth of that fact. Almost nothing could catch a Dranek if we got into the trees. The other five guards who were listening in would also be covering me, and Darien was likely aware of that as well.