Timing: RaccoonEggs

Carson was sitting in the cart, letting Matt push him around. He wanted a toy, like a literal child, and Matt was riding on the back of the cart, running for a few seconds and hopping up to glide down the aisles.

Ezra rolled his eyes and watched the boys, remembering that (name) had invited him over today. He grabbed something off the shelf and looked it over, absentmindedly, without really seeing it. His phone buzzed and he looked down, and shoved his hand in his pocket to fish it out. Gently, he set the object down and opened his phone, to see a message from the Narrator, who linked a Twitter thread.

"Maybe this'll set your mind at ease: twitter.c...," the notification pop up declared. But knowing his conspiracies, Ezra left it unopened and walked through the aisles to try and find Matt and Carson. "Matt, where are you? Wh—," he looked around, unable to see them or hear the shopping cart.

While he wasn't paying attention, he almost crashed into a mother and her child, but corrected himself and apologized absentmindedly. Matt had taken the keys to the car, and if he was late to (name)'s, he would feel awful. He pulled out his phone and typed in Matt's number, and when he didn't answer, Carson's. But there were no answers from either of them, so Ezra was instead left stranded at the store, wondering how he was supposed to get home.

He walked outside and couldn't see the car, so he sighed and pulled out his phone to call (name). He felt like a prick for having to call her, so he froze, and put his phone back into his pocket. Walking might not be so bad, he supposed. So, he put on his big-boy pants and bent down to lace up his untied sneakers, and walked out of the parking lot.

After about twenty minutes, his phone died, and he tugged his earbuds out of his ears. "Damn," he muttered, letting the curse roll off his tongue. Ezra made his way to the neighborhood he lived in, and saw the car in the driveway of the shared apartment.

"Carson... Carson! Why'd you take the ca—..." He yelled to the boy until he realized that the whole house was completely empty. His eyes swept across the table, and found a crumpled sticky note, with Matt's handwriting on it.

"We went to a party at Carson's friend's. We'll be back eventually, don't worry."

"Fucking Matt," Ezra sighed. "Now I have to tell (name) that they couldn't come for a frat party, great."

He pulled his phone out to call Matt, and realized it was dead, almost chucking it at the wall, but instead, walking to his room and plugging it in. With only a few more hours before he could go to (name)'s house, he decided to take a shower. He gathered his clothes and a towel, and walked to the bathroom, switching on the shower. Instead of feeling the water, he stepped in and nearly froze. "Is there seriously no fucking hot water?!" He shouted, and almost punched the wall before jumping out of the shower.

After getting dressed again, he grabbed his phone off the charger and called Matt, but he had to leave a message. "Fuck you, Matt!" He screamed into his phone. "There's no hot water in the house!"

He hung up and slammed his fist into the wall of his bedroom and gasped at the pain that ensued. Ezra held his hand out at arm's length, and saw it swell up quickly. A small trickle of blood made its way down his arm as he watched in amazement.

His phone rang once, then twice with (name)'s ringtone. "Hello?" He almost whispered, watching and tipping his arm to see how far the blood would flow.

"Hey, Ezra, Matt told me you left him a pretty nasty voicemail and now he's too scared to call you back. What's the matter?"

In a quiet voice, he mumbled, "I think I broke a knuckle."

"You did what?"

"I think I broke a knuckle," he repeated in that same voice.

"Oh my god. Okay, that's okay, I'm on my way. Don't mess with it, or do anything to hurt your hand more," she muttered, the quality of her phone's microphone dropping as she bumped against her coat and shoes.

"Okay (name)," he whispered, still mystified and dazed.

She hung up and practically sped to his house, with her little car shooting down the driveway of the shared apartment. A loud knock came from the door, and she opened it just as quickly as she had knocked. "Ezra? Ezra, c'mon, we gotta get you bandaged up!"

The tall boy walked towards her with a towel around his fist, and nodded. "Alright."

A sparkle caught the corner of his eye, and he glanced at her coat pocket. "Is there glitter in your pocket?" His eyes flickered to her face. "Are you dolled up to go somewhere?"

His hair was still wet and she ruffled it as they walked to her car. "Don't worry about it, Ez." A smile graced her face as she realized that he didn't remember.

"Okay, I guess." He didn't seem to mind that she wouldn't tell him, though he did seem irritated about something.

"What's the matter?" She asked, looking over at his face every once in a while during the drive to the hospital.

"Matt and Carson left me at the mall today so I had to walk home. Then I got all sweaty and I had to shower, but the only water was cold! And when I was supposed to be going to your house, they took the car to go to a stupid fucking frat party!" He vented, almost slamming his hand against the car's dashboard before she caught it.

"Hey, easy, slugger. It'll be alright. You can shower when we get to my place, and just forget about Matt and Carson, they'll do something to make it up eventually." Her smile made him smirk a bit, and he felt a little better.

"Right. Thanks, (name). I'm sorry about all this, though."

"Don't worry about it, Ez. It's fine."

The car pulled into the ER spaces by the hospital doors, and the pair walked to the doors together. (name) grabbed the clipboard for Ezra's medical information and began filling it out, because he hurt his writing hand.

The doctor came out and called Ezra's name, and she stayed in the waiting room, hoping he'd be alright on his own.

When he came back out, there was a brace around his hand, and a prescription in his other. "I'm all set, the doctor just said I bruised it." A smile made its way onto his face, and it was soon joined by hers.

"That's great news! Let's get to my house so you can shower though, you are sweaty," she joked.

He playfully pushed her a bit, and chuckled. "Am not."

"Right," she said, through a laugh.

The ride to her house was almost awkward, and got a bit more awkward as Ezra's eyes widened at her packed driveway. "Woah, some party Michelle must be throwing, huh?"

A nervous chuckle escaped her lips. "Uh, yeah, she invited too many people over..."

The door opened gently, to a completely dark house, to which Ezra flipped the light for. (name) sprinkled the glitter from her pockets over his head and laughed as many people popped up from behind couches and doorways yelled "Happy Birthday!"

He spun around and looked her dead in the eyes. "You knew about this all along?"

She quickly nodded and smiled brightly. It was in that moment that he hugged her as tightly as he could, and kissed her forehead.

"Just you wait until your birthday."