━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter eighteen: de facto █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter eighteen: de facto
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter eighteen: de facto █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

THE SKY IS DARK by the time they head back inside. Indira isn't sure how much time has passed when they step into Poe's father's home — it could have been hours, could have been minutes; she isn't sure which — but Karé and Snap are both on their feet the second they step through the door, swarming their commander.

"Poe!" Snap cries. "It's so good to see you, buddy!"

The two men embrace, thumping each other on the back before pulling apart. "It's good to see you, too, pal," Poe says sincerely, grasping his friend by the shoulders and squeezing affectionately. Though still a bit subdued, he looks a far cry better than when Indira first found him standing by himself by the river's edge. His eyes have regained some of their former shine and his smile is genuine as he greets his squadron members.

Indira catches Kes's eye from across the room as Poe greets Karé, nearly lifting the smaller woman off her feet when he hugs her. Poe's father mouths a thank you to her and Indira ducks her head with some embarrassment before nodding back.

When Poe and Karé break apart, they all take seats in the crammed space of Kes's living room, situating themselves as comfortably as possible on the tiny couch. Indira is squished between Poe and Karé, who is halfway sitting on Snap's leg. Indira's knee bumps against Poe's, but she doesn't move hers and neither does he, allowing them to remain in contact with one another. Kes fishes out another mug from his cabinet and pours Poe a steaming cup of the spiced milk, handing it to him before ruffling his hair.

"Dad," Poe complains, shaking his head indignantly. "The hair is off-limits, remember?"

"Sorry, son," Kes replies, not sounding particularly sorry at all as he takes a seat in the armchair across from them, grinning widely. "Old habits die hard."

Poe rolls his eyes affectionately, sipping from his mug before glancing over at his friends. "So, what'd I miss?"

"Truthfully?" Snap asks. "Not much. Things were pretty quiet with you gone, Dameron."