Prologue: Suit Guy

Ashanti's POV:

It was a chilly afternoon as I roamed the streets of Seattle.

The views of the city were beautiful.

I transferred here to finish my last year of college and to live with my friend Ana. I didn't really have anything holding me back, so I was prepared to leave.

It's only an hour drive away from my parents, but Seattle was so different from where I grew up.

I was really enjoying my stay here and I think I might want to make it permanent. I comforted myself from the harsh winds, and I strolled along down the street.

I stepped inside the house in search of Mariana.

"Ana!" ,I screamed.

No answer. Silence cultivated the room and it was apparent that I was alone. I let out a sigh and headed upstairs. I heard moaning of a man and a woman coming from Ana's room, and I knew she was busy.

I smiled to myself and walked off into the direction of my room.

My phone vibrated and I hurriedly answered it without looking at the caller id.

"Hi, sweetie" ,my mom's voice echoed through the phone.

"Hello, mother" ,I spoke.

"How was your first week living in Seattle?" ,she pestered. "It's going good. I'm looking for a job and I've already been transferred to another college" ,I say biting my lip nervously. "Honey, you know we have a job for you at the office, I don't understand why you won't take it",she says with a sigh. I release a breath and reply, "Mother, I don't want a job to be handed to me just because it's the family business."

My mother and father are both lawyers and they founded this company. They are powerful in the industry, and I don't let people know that I'm related to them because people usually treat me different. They want me to become a lawyer in their firm and I want to practice law, but not in their business.

"What jobs are you leaning towards?" ,she asked.

"I was thinking of doing something simple for right now. Maybe work in a restaurant, a cafe, or an office perhaps. I thought it would be easier to handle" ,I whispered.

"Uh huh. And you'd rather do that than work with your family?" ,she hummed while I could hear her tapping away on her laptop.

"It's more convenient with college and all" ,I continued on. "Yup, that's great" ,she voices out with sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh.

"Goodbye, mother" ,I mumbled.

She didn't answer me back, and I just decided to hang up. It's nothing new, she always ignores me for the business. The same goes for my father as well.

My father hasn't talked to me in weeks because I told him I didn't want to be in the business.
Since I was younger I had a nanny taking care of me while they went off on trips and did stuff for their blooming business.

I should be used to it but it still hurts.
I stared out at the bright sky. It was absolutely beautiful at this time.

The sun was finally setting after a long, tiring day.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the gust of wind that had presented itself. The view was beautiful, and I knew I would enjoy this for a long time. Sadly, the sun soon had fallen completely out of the sky and I knew it was time for me to get back inside.

I decided to do a little more job hunting on my laptop and came up with a few good options.
I was deciding between a café and an office.
I was leaning more towards the café because it's flexible hours. On the other hand, I think that the office would be better seeing as I am a law major.