Chapter Eighteen: Stolen Candies

My heart pounded in my chest like it was trying to get out. Lucas looked at me with this absolute tenderness--it’s difficult to describe. But as he got closer, his eyelids dropped farther and farther, and I began to panic because I had yet to brush my teeth that morning.

Right as his lips were about to touch mine, the phone clutched in my hand rung. We both jumped, but I took it as an opportunity to escape and dodged away from Lucas, bringing the phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I said. My back was to Lucas, but I could almost feel his retinas burning a hole in the back of my head. Uh.

“Natalie, what did I tell you about--”

“Hi Mom.”

“You’re suppose to call me as soon as you wake up.”

“I kind of did just wake up.”

“It’s nine o’clock. I keep telling you if you sleep in late like this you will--” my mother was cut off. I heard some mumbling behind her, and after a reluctant sigh she said: “Your father wants to talk to you. But I’m not through with you yet, young lady.” There was a crinkling sound like static, but I knew for a fact that it was actually a candy wrapper. My heart squeezed. Everyday right after he had his morning coffee, my Daddy would sit in the den and read National Geographic. When my mother had her back turned, he would sneak a toffee from the decorative dish on the table, which was the candy reserved for guests. If I was in the room, he would toss me a Hershey’s kiss, bringing a finger to his lips and smiling. I could almost picture the scene; my mother, pacing through the living room, her high heels soundless against the carpet, and my father stuffing candy wrappers between the cushions or in his magazine in an attempt to hide the evidence before my mom turned to give him the phone.

“Hello Natalie dear,” he said calmly into the phone. There was a noise in the background, and I assumed my mother left the room because my dad’s voice changed like someone flipped a switch on his back “How’s my princess doing?”

“Um, I’m fine,” I said. Yeah, no problem here just, you know, almost kissing a guy I hated less than two days ago.

“You’ve got plenty to eat? This Lucas guy, is he treating you right?” he asked. Hmm, now why didn’t my mother ask those questions when she called? There’s some food for thought.

“Yeah, and yeah, he’s been great. We’re getting along just fine, it’s a little boring around here though,” I said.

Lies!

“Well that’s good to hear princess. Hey, I recorded that show you like while you were gone, the one about the alien or--”

“Oh, Invader Zim?”

“Yeah, that one. I tried watching a little too, but it was, well….. It confirmed my judgment that you, my dear offspring, are mentally insane,” he teased.

“This coming from the King of Crazy himself!” I laughed. I pictured the corners of my Daddy’s eyes crinkling as he smiled at this, his hand lazily reaching for the toffee from his spot on the couch.

“Well sweetie, I better get going. You want to save the battery on your phone. I’ve been keeping in touch with the police, and don’t worry, I’ll make sure someone’s getting sued,” he said.

“Daaaad,” I whined.

“But don’t worry yourself about that now. Just stay safe, alright? I love you,” said my dad. For the first time, I felt a wave of homesickness wash over my belly. I thought of my poor dad, who finally got some time off of work and couldn’t see his only daughter because she was trapped in her school. No wonder he wanted to sue.

“Love you too,” I said. I hung up the phone, powering off to conserve battery like my Daddy told me.

I turned around, finding Lucas slumped against the wall with a kicked puppy look on his face. I tried to smile, but I’m sure it came out crooked or forced.

“So, um…. Want some breakfast?” I said. Lucas stood up, walking towards me reaching out. At first I thought he was trying to steal my cell phone, but instead he took my hand.

“Yeah,” he said “I would like that very much.”

A/N-- Please don't kill me! I'm leaving for a trip this weekend, and won't be back until Monday, so I can't update for a few days. Sorry I couldn't stop on a more romantic note, but I didn't want to leave any cliffhangers for my short hiatus. But Monday I will have a super long chapter for all of you guys, promise! Anyways, it would make my day if you guys vote or comment. Thanks for all the support my "human worm babies."

<3 <3