1: New Prentisstown

YOU

You were home when it happened. You were home with your father, making a late dinner on the stove with the Spackle servant in your family and her baby, which was laying on a blanket on the floor, playing with some of your old baby toys.

This was your family, and you loved it.

Your pa held a book in his hands and read it quietly, not having to read it out loud to you, as you could hear every word in his Noise. He didn't ever take the cure so you would know his thoughts. You smiled at the joke the main character told, stirring broth on the stove, reaching for the bowl of vegetables, when you heard it. The thunderous Noise of more than a dozen new men, all chanting one thing. You looked at your father, the words of the book cutting off, replaced with exclamation marks of fear. 

"Pa?" you whispered, eyebrows furrowing. 

He opened his lips, but the Noise of the approaching men drowned out anything he was about to say. 

I AM THE CIRCLE AND THE CIRCLE IS ME 

//

You woke up on a bed that wasn't yours. Well, it had been yours for several days now, but you didn't think of it as yours. 

On the day the army came, you and every other woman in Haven became prisoners to the army of Prentisstown. They took over your useless excuse of a mayor and sent all the women out of the main part of town and into a neighborhood of homes where they all lived together.

Those men beat, and tortured, and killed, and your father-

You shook your head, forcing the thoughts out. 

Not now, you thought. Breakfast first. 

You got your rations of fruit and nibbled on it, eyeing the girls that walked by. Some of them used to be your neighbors. Now they're cellmates. Except you didn't live in a cell, just in a room full of beds, but everyone was sad. Everyone had lost someone. And it made everyone pretty miserable. 

Women lived here without husbands, brothers, uncles, boyfriends, fathers. And they had no say about it at all.

The town had made a choice. The stupid democracy you lived in meant the people of Haven got to vote. And everyone in this town was a coward. Everyone but your pa. Your sweet, sweet pa, who took care of you and when the time came he-

You put your scraps away and moved to your pile of neatly folded clothes to change. 

An older woman named Rebecca poked her head in the room as you slipped your nightgown off your head. She gave you a half smile.

"The Mayor - er, President is preparing for a meeting by the cathedral," she said.

"A meeting?" you asked. "What for?"

She just stared at you, then pursed her lips. "Get dressed, sweetie. We're leaving in a few minutes, when the men come 'round to gather us."

You scowled but nodded, slipping your shirt on your head. You stepped into your pants and then your shoes, and pulled the front part of your hair back and tied it. The rest fell around your shoulders.

You walked out with the girls. Sure enough, a couple of soldiers were waiting at the door. The girls were filed out. The men had no Noise and looked at the women in a way that made your stomach turn.

You decided that you weren't scared. The worst had already happened to you. You shot the sharpest look you could at one of the Prentisstown men. He chuckled at you, shaking his head.