A Harf

A Muslimah called an Islamic program of Fatawah, asking the Shaikh about her problem

She told him:

”I wanted to marry my cousin… for 4 years, I prayed to Allah day and night to make my dream come true. For 4 years, I performed Salah, fasted and I offered a lot of Nawafil (optional prayers), I became closer to Allah … until I heard from my mother that he became engaged to another girl! I was completely devastated! I left Salah, I left fasting! I hated my life, my condition and everyone around me. So,plz tell me: what should I do now?”

The Shaikh told her :

”your problem is mentioned in Qur’an in Surat Al Hajj, Ayah 11"

And of the people is he who worships Allah on a “harf”. If he is touched by good, he is reassured by it; but if he is struck by trial, he turns on his face [to the other direction]. He has lost [this] world and the Hereafter. That is what is the manifest loss.

"Harf" in Arabic means "condition"

It means that :

IF Allah granted you something you asked HIM, you would continue to worship HIM

But IF HE didn’t then you would became desperate and stop worshipping HIM

Don’t worship Allah hoping that HE would grant you a righteous husband or anything you want by that worship!

Shaikh Sha’rawy (rahimahullah) said:” Don’t worship Allah to get your Rizq (provision)

Don’t worship Allah to get a good position at work

Don’t worship Allah to get better chances in life

BUT

Worship HIM to get HIS satisfaction

And HIS Satisfaction will bring you anything you want”

Your heart belongs to your Creator, give it to Allah and He will hand it over to the one who deserves it the most, no disappointments.

Had Allah lifted His veil for His slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave, than His own self, his heart would have melted out of love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah.
Therefore if the pain of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know, that verily Allah does not forget it. - ibn Al-Qayyim