chapter seven

KENZIE'S POINT OF VIEW
•••

i spotted him, punching johnny. i gasped in shock, and hurried off the stage, only to trip on my dress, and tumble to the ground. that's the last thing i remember, before everything went black.

when i woke up, i looked around the room, and mumbled to myself, "this doesn't look like my room." "cause it isn't. are you okay, kenz? we were so worried!" i heard a reply, and looked up to see maddie.

johnny and lauren were both seated alongside her, smiling upon seeing me awake. "i'm fine." i grinned.

"oh wait, john! are you okay?" i asked him, suddenly remembering what had happened. "yeah. why wouldn't i be?" he question, tilting his head slightly to the right.

i couldn't tell whether he was faking confusion, or being serious. "ya know. those punches brandon threw at you. they looked painful." i winced, recalling the event.

"oh that. yeah i'm fine." johnny scratched the back of his neck nervously. "so how long have i been here for?" i asked them, changing the subject.

"all day and night." johnny replied. i made an 'O' shape with my mouth, and then asked the trio, "what about brandon? is he okay?" both lauren and johnny exchanges exasperated glances, while maddie just nodded. "he's fine, but i don't get why y'all were fighting." she shrugged turning to john. it was then that i realised i forgot to fill her up with the news of the breakup.

i looked at lauren and johnny, and put my hands up in defence when i saw the glare they were giving me. "what's wrong?" i asked them. "what's wrong?" lauren repeated, an incredulous look on her face. "you're asking about your ex, after y'all broke up?" she exclaimed.

"wait what! when did y'all break up! kenzie, what happened?" maddie butt into lauren's question.

"he cheated on me." i mumbled, embarrassed. "what?" maddie asked me, because apparently i was inaudible. "cheated on me." i said, slightly louder. "kenz, talk! don't mumble." maddie groaned.

"he cheated on her!" johnny and lauren exclaimed in sync. i turned red. it was embarrassing to have been cheated on, and if it wasn't for johnny, my entire reputation would be ruined.

"i'm going to kill him!" maddie growled. i shrunk back under the covers. "it's fine, mads." i said.  "no, it isn't. he can't cheat on you and get away with it." i'd never seen maddie this angry before, and it was scary.

just as i was about to reply, the doctor arrived, and said i needed rest, and so the three of them all gave me another hug before leaving.

•••

it was only two days later that i was finally allowed to go home. i was sick and tired of lying around in a bed all day, and eating disgusting hospital food, and a break was exactly what i needed.

maddie skipped into my room. "kenzie! you're free!" she exclaimed, doing a little jig. i giggled, before nodding in excitement.

as i arrived home, i excitedly ran to my room, and flopped down on my bed. it had been three days, but that was three days too many. i missed my fluffy bed.

the next day, as i entered home room, people immediately began bombarding me with questions about whether i was okay, and asking if i had broken anything. i was sick of telling people i was fine. i mean, isn't it obvious i am, if i'm in school.

even my homeroom teacher asked me that, and it took each and every part of my soul to not scream that i was fine.

the rest of the day was slightly better, before french. i was lazily sitting in class, listening to monsieur rogue drawling on about french verbs. he's one of those super strict teachers, and in his class, there is pindrop silence. literally.

as i was daydreaming about going home and eating cake, i felt something hit my head. i turned around and made eye contact with johnny. he glanced at the floor near me, and i followed his glance. there was a crumpled piece of paper. i stared at it in shock. no one dared to pass notes in french class.

i looked around, and when i was sure the teacher wasn't looking, i discreetly bent and picked up the note.

i opened it up and placed it on my textbook, so i could pretend to be reading that instead.

hey kenz! (is it okay if i call you that?) i'm glad to see you're back in school. i'm not gonna bother asking if you're okay, cuz you prolly are, seeing as you're back in school. anyways, i was wondering if you could meet me under the bleachers in the field today? during lunch. since we both know you're not gonna pass a note back, just nod for a yes, and shake your head if not. -johnny

i read his note, and smirked. he thought i wasn't daring enough, i'd show him.

i tore a sheet from my notebook, and began iwriting.

firstly, sure, you can call me kenz. i prefer it to mackenzie anyway. secondly, duH i'm fine, but finally someone sees eye to eye with me on this, and lastly i'll meet you under the bleachers. oh also you think i'm not daring enough, watch this.

i carefully looked around to make sure i wouldn't be caught, and then threw the note to johnny. thank god my aim wasn't horrid.

johnny un-crumpled the note, and as he read it, a smirk grew in his face. that boy. he looked up, and mouthed, "what are you gonna do?" i grinned, and replied back, "wait and watch."

when the teacher's back was turned, i took a deep breath, and sucking in the air, i let out a whistle. it wasn't the usual soft and melodious whistle. it was a shrill and screechy one.

"who was that? monsieur rogue turned around angrily. i chuckled at johnny's expression of shock, and then turned to face the teacher.

a few seconds later, i repeated my action, and if i do say so myself, it was even better. at least until monsieur rogue turned around, and said the dreaded words i had already heard this year. "detention, me ziegler. today, after school.

•••
this book is taking so long to edit ugh

[ word count — 1068 words ]
( EDITED )