Chapter Sixty Seven

fourteen months after graduation

august 30th 1979

Sirius stood in front of the mirror, desperately trying to perform the spell that would fix the mess he'd made of his tie. No matter how hard he tried, the spell wouldn't work and he remained looking like an idiot.

"Sirius? Are you in there?" A small knock on the door startled Sirius and caused him to return back to reality.

He had spent the past fifteen minutes in the bathroom attempting to fix the mess he'd made when he was supposed to be celebrating James and Lily's marriage. He had suffered through the ceremony, exchanging of vows, the main meal, and cutting the cake whilst being slightly strangled by his tie. Once he'd managed to escape the first thing he did was yank it until he could comfortably breathe again, resulting in a now torn piece of fabric limply hung underneath his collar.

"Sirius?" The voice called from the other side of the door again.

"Promise if I let you in you won't laugh." Sirius called out.
At first he was met only by a laugh.
"Okay, I promise. Now let me in; James is going mad."

Sirius sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "You know I'm not sure I'm ready yet."
"I've just gotten changed into a whole new dress, why are you taking so long?"

He grumbled under his breath about being more good looking as he opened the door. Asteria stood before him wearing a silky teal dress and smiling, before her eyes landed on him. Or more precisely, his tie.

"Oh Merlin, what have you done?" Her eyes widened as he yanked her into the bathroom and closed the door behind them.

"Can you fix it?" He pleaded.
"You know it may be okay for dogs to chew through things... But you are a human, in human form." Asteria bit down on her bottom lip to restrain her laughter.
"Now is not the time!" Sirius exclaimed, beginning to pull on his tie again.

"Stop it!" Asteria exclaimed, pulling his hands away, "Can't you fix it with magic?"
"I don't know the spell to tie a tie." Sirius admitted quietly, pursing his lips.

"Okay, just be quiet and don't move." Asteria pulled out her wand and waved it briefly, causing the threading to sew itself back into place, "Guess I'll just tie it for you."
"Not too tight. I've spent all morning suffocating." Sirius grumbled as Asteria took the tie in her hands.
"I did think you looked a bit blue when you were giving that speech." Asteria giggled, straightening out the tie and pulling out Sirius' collar over the top.

As she stepped back, Sirius could feel the lump rising in his throat almost as though the air had been knocked out of him. His sudden lack of breath wasn't from the tie though. This time it came from the girl that stood before him.
Sometimes Sirius would look at Asteria and realise just how much he needed her, just how much he loved her. Those moments left him feeling truly weak and happened far too often for his pride's liking.