Book 2: chapter 19

The sun has risen high on a new day when we finally take sight of our destination. Helm's deep lies ahead, build snugly up against the mountainside. There is only one approach and that fact can be both a blessing and a curse. Considering the legions approaching, I'm leaning towards the latter, because should the keep fall, there will be nowhere to hide.

Riding up towards the deep, we are welcomed with warm greetings. It does not take long for word to spread and Gimli is the first to approach, making his way through the gathered crowd. "Where is he? Where is he? Get out of the way. I'm gonna kill him!" he threatens, only for his face to soften and lighten up in a smile once he actually sees Aragorn.

"You are the luckiest, the canniest and the most reckless man I ever knew! Bless you, laddie!" he cries out, wrapping the beaten man in his sturdy arms.

Aragorn however has other priorities, asking for the king's whereabouts. Gimli gestures towards the halls further up. Aragorn makes his way through the people until he comes across a relieved looking Legolas, who gladly returns the Evenstar to its proper holder.

I take Gimli by the arm, following after Aragorn. On my way I whisk Legolas off as well giving him no time to voice the greeting he was about to give. "Come, there is a great peril approaching. We need to discuss our course of action." I tell them, stepping into the hall. Aragorn has already addressed the King and is explaining the matter at hand.

"A great host, you say?" Théoden muses. "How many?" he asks, looking Aragorn in the eye.

"Ten thousand strong at least." is the answer he receives, causing his eyes to widen, baffled.

"Ten thousand?!"

Aragorn nods in confirmation before continuing; "It is an army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of men. They will be here by nightfall."

King Théoden looks thoughtful, before a speaking up, his words full of conviction; "Let them come!" he says before stalking off, no doubt to make plans. The others follow after him, while I decide to stay behind. I'm tired from the journey and lack of sleep, not to mention that my stomach has been begging me for food for the last few hours.

I have to make due with soup and bread, as that is near at hand. I don't dare ask for meats or other luxury foods during a time of great distress, not that I mind, I've definably done worse.

"My lady?" a timid voice pipes up in the otherwise silent hall, drawing my attention to Lady Éowyn. She carefully strides over, taking a seat opposite me.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask, wondering what's on her mind. We only have spoken fleetingly before, but I could sense that this would by my first full conversation with Rohan's shield maiden.

"I..I wanted to thank you, for bringing back Lord Aragorn." she starts. I indeed see a great depth of gratitude in her eyes. She is very fond of him still.

Sitting up straight, I look her in the eyes. "Do not thank me my lady. Aragorn is a dear friend who still has much to do in the world before I give up on him and let him perish." She nods in understanding.

"Have you known him for long?" she questions, making me nod.

"Many years ago we met. He was only a boy at the time." I answer, making her eyes widen in surprise.

"Does that mean, that you are one of the Dunedaîn as well? You hardly look a day older than myself, if I may be so bold to say so."

I chuckle. "No, I am no Dunedaîn, but I am indeed many a year older than men can become." I reveal, making the curiosity in her eyes grow.